Oil leak from clutch pedal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nick
True Blue

Oil leak from clutch pedal

Post by Nick »

Hi everyone, my major has been sat for about a year in my workshop. So I got it out last week and got ready to go ploughing, but after a couple days quite a large pool of oil has collected underneath the clutch pedal on the floor.
Is there a seal in there, or is the oil in the backend too high? I know that the seal between the gearbox and backend has gone, I have just put off doing it :oops:
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: Oil leak from clutch pedal

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Nick
The brake and clutch pedal assemblies are mounted on a shaft that passes through the rear axle housing. The shaft therefore needs a seal either end. The photo below shows whats going on.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi adrian, thanks for that picture! I assume you can buy the seals easy enough?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

AXEMAN78
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AXEMAN78 »

Hi Nick,

aye the seals are easy enough to come by, Agriline do them part no 5229 and are about 3 and a half quid each plus a bit of vat. hope that helps :wink:

Paul

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Check the caprice when working on the axle. If it is to much the sealing will be leaking agian afther some time.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Boneman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Boneman »

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I have same problem, my fordson major 1957 is leaking from brake pedal axle. Is there a easy way of fixing this? Or do i have to open the gearbox? Thankful for any advices and pictures

henk

Post by henk »

Boneman

Welcome to the FTP forum.

You don't have to work on the gearbox. The shaft is gooing through the rear end.
You can renew the seals from the outside when you remove the pedals and the shaft.
When the bushes are to much worn you have to replace them. It can be done from the outside but you have to know how and you need some tools.
Kind regards, Henk

Boneman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Boneman »

Henk, do you mean that after I take pedals of, I can get the shaft away also? Does this mean that the oil runs out from rear end?

henk

Post by henk »

Can't remember that now. I have done the job when it was empty. So take the oil dipstick out and messure the lenght between the oil level and the face of the dipstick. Then you can messure on the outside if the oil level is to high or not. Check the dipstick first if the oil level is not to high, because oil from the gearbox can flow to the rear end when the seal between them is leaking.
Draining the rear end is not hard, but it's a lot of oil (41 L) that comes out at once.
Kind regards, Henk

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Oil will run out, I'm quite sure. You can lift the front of the tractor a little, then you can pull out the shaft without getting the oil out.

Otherwise, a oil change won't hurt usually. Good opportunity to clean out the filter gauze in the back end as well.

Rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964