Fordson Major Backhoe

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

The orange can with the hoses clipped on was the thing i was talking about.
I guess the side force of the digging stresses the right wheel more and to prevent it from bending the "paddles" has been welded on. (but I am of course wrong again). :(

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

You're not wrong very often, Grani. It's a good thing that you didn't bet Dave his bottom dollar. He'd be in the poor house now :lol: You're right, the thing on the side of the injector pump is a coolant heater. The breather is on the timing cover.
I'll bet that both of the back wheels were reinforced like that at one time. One has probably been replaced sometime in the last 50 years.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

JC wrote:You're not wrong very often, Grani. It's a good thing that you didn't bet Dave his bottom dollar. He'd be in the poor house now :lol: You're right, the thing on the side of the injector pump is a coolant heater. The breather is on the timing cover.
I'll bet that both of the back wheels were reinforced like that at one time. One has probably been replaced sometime in the last 50 years.
I agree on all that. :wink:

henk

Post by henk »

[quote="henk"]
These tractors were standard delivered with no lift and hydraulics. quote]

See this add from Dandy Dave in another topic, you will see it's an option.

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Viewing these pictures shows what a remarkable tractor the Fordson was and still is, try using that back hoe on a modern
tractor of 50 HP.

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

I've finally gotten the old girl on pavement next to the barn where I can start work on her, but there is a problem I've never previously encountered. During the winter, I jacked up the front end and removed the wheels to paint the rims and put on new tires. I left the frame jacked up with the loader bucket down all the way and it sat like that for about 4 months. I put the new tires on and removed the jacks and the wheels stayed hanging in the air! Moving the control levers did nothing and neither did moving the in/out valve from the pressure side of the external pump. I unscrewed both feeds to the cylinders thinking this would release the pressure that seemed must be built up inside. No change at all. The front end of the tractor is being held up just like the loader was being powered downward to dig and picking the front wheels off the ground. I have a ways to go before I will be ready to try starting it and using the pump to see if it will move. Is a stuck hydraulic cylinder a common problem and do any of you folks have any suggestions? You can see the lift cylinders in the above pictures. Thanks to all.
Never give up!

JC

Post by JC »

Kim,
When hydraulic cylinders haven't been used for a while, sometimes moisture inside them will cause a little corrosion on the cylinder walls. If there's not much weight on the cylinders, the pistons may not be able to slide past the corrosion. You don't have much weight on the front of the tractor, since the hoe is acting as a big counter weight. When you get it running, the cylinders will probably work fine.

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

Thank you JC, for the quick reply. What you are saying makes sense as I looked this morning at the small amount of hydraulic oil that came out when I loosened the pressure feeds and there is some light rust coloring that settled out(not water, but a light coloration of oil). I was thinking about backfeeding some pressure to the system through a hose from the remote hydraulic feed on another tractor to get the wheels down. If I have to get underneath to do anything, I'll be a lot more comfortable with its wheels on the ground instead of supported on jack stands. In any case, I can't do much for a while as I discovered four baby robins in a nest on top of the manifold this morning and won't disturb them until they fledge. Thanks again for the response.
Never give up!

Kim
True Blue

Fordson Major backhoe

Post by Kim »

I finally was able to start work about 2 weeks ago on this project after being "held captive " by doctors and hospitals all spring and summer! With the head removed, it's obvious that water had been in there a LOOONG time. I think the 2 center pistons will come out, but I have SERIOUS doubts about #'s 1&4! I'd like to know what the members think about the various manufacturers of sleeve and engine sets. I know all are not of the same quality and I know the cheapest price can be the most expensive in the long run. Also. any suggestions on getting #1 and #4 out will be appreciated. I haven't got the pan off yet(hopefully in the next two days). There was about 2 quarts of very clean water that came out before about 8 quarts of very clean looking oil so I have hopes for the crankshaft. I got the loader up in the air by putting a tee in the hydraulic lines and feeding it off the live hydraulics on my Nuffield 4/65, but an 8x8 timber is now holding it up there because I know how much damage my body would do to that loader frame if a hose or seal let go. Thanks for any suggestions and information.

Never give up!

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

If you take the crankshaft out you might stand more chance of pushing the piston and liner out together.

I had a lot of problems shifting one of the pistons in a Dexta engine, in the end I pushed it with a 30 t press. I doubt that you would shift the piston in the liner but you might push the liner and piston out together?
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I have removed rusted in pistons in a variety of ways. One of the best that I have found is by using a grease gun. First you need to be sure that the valves are good and will seal. It would be best if the crank was removed so that you would be pushing only down on each piston on at a time. Then you will need to make an addapter that will fit in the injector hole with a grease fitting on it. fill the cylinders with grease before you put the head on to reduce pumping with the grease gun. A grease gun is capable of putting out 10,000 PSI. You will be supprised at how easy the pistons move with this method. :) Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major