front right spindle

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Gman
True Blue

front right spindle

Post by Gman »

Hello to all. I have not been on here in quite some time. Hope all are well. I have been getting the old girl ready for this years work and she has been sitting for a year. As always, battery charged and she fires right up. Anyway I believe I have a front right spindle problem and this will be something new for me so I come to the experts. I have another axle with spindles which I plan to look at to see what shape it is in. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I see there are bushings involved, are new ones available and will I need to be able to press the spindle back into the axle? Thanks in advance. Good luck on your projects. Gman
Gman: 1959 Power Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: front right spindle

Post by henk »

Hello Gman,

Welcome back.
First check out your spare one if it is good enough. Than see if it fits in the old bushes. If not or the bushes are to far gone, you can buy new ones.
You have to ream them at the right size when fitted.
Beware of different splines at the axle. You wheel line out will be off if its different.
Bin there done that and the result was a worn front tire.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Henk. I was looking at the project and wondered if other axle, it is from a 1956 Major, will work could I remove the axle extension with the spindle and swap out if they are the same. Looks like three bolts holds axle extension. Replacing bushings is the part I am not sure about. My hope is other axle is good. Good to hear from you and as always all help is greatly appreciated.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Front axle extension is the same for all Majors.
Getting those three bolts out may be an issue. They tend to become rusted in place. I destroyed two of the six trying to get them out. Once out, clean and grease before replacing. Remove annually and regrease.
The next issue is the spindles. Over the years, for whatever reason, they won't have been regularly greased. Result is that the bushes, spindles and the axle extension bores will have become worn. You can buy replacement bushes, but they will bear no relation to the worn spindles and bores. I took my axle extensions and spindles to a machine shop and asked them to weld and turn the spindles, then drill and rebush the axle extension bores to fit.
Once this is done, remind oneself that grease is cheap!
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

[url=https://postimg.org/image/q9i35ro1 ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Adrian. I have looked at my parts supply and the axle still has tombstone attached. I need to remove it so I can get the axle out and see what it looks like. I used imageshack for pictures on here but last time I tried to use it could not get pictures up. Will try to take pictures once I get this project going. Does anyone know if Brian stills has any shirts for sale? I need to find his email where I bought before. Thanks to everyone. G