My Super major doesn't seem to rev very high

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Millwall Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

My Super major doesn't seem to rev very high

Post by Millwall Paul »

I look after my Grandfathers 1962 Supermajor and the last time I used it it seemed to loose some revs somewhere. I can only go by ear as the tractor doesn't have a tachometer fitted, but I could have sworn that the revs progressively dropped over the course of the day. I thought that it may have required a service, so I have changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and the gauze filter in the tank. I emptied the whole fuel tank to check the gauze filter and found it was missing so refitted a new one. She started beautifully and seems to run / drive as you would expect, but if you push the throttle to the maximum it still appears that she doesn't rev as high as she used to. I have had the bellows off in the injection pump to check for leaks / holes and it looks good. It seems to hold pressure if I block the holes at the top of it.

At the moment I'm not 100% certain where else to look. Has anyone had anything similar or any good ideas where to look?

Cheers

Paul

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: My Super major doesn't seem to rev very high

Post by Brian »

Check the air cleaner and hoses. Try taking the air cleaner hose off then carefully rev up and see what happens to the revs. If it revs OK you may have a blocked air cleaner wire filter up inside the air cleaner body.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Millwall Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Millwall Paul »

Cheers for the advice Brian, I'll give it a go. Stupidly I hadn't even thought about a blocked air filter for some reason, yet whenever I service my cars I always change them.

Millwall Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Millwall Paul »

Good suggestion on the air filter, I found it was quite clogged with crap. All cleaned out and freshly filled with oil and she's much happier. Thanks for the advice.