Power Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
malcolmg
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Major

Post by malcolmg »

As a Dexta owner, I've always wanted it's big brother
Now that opportunity has arrived.
I have available locally a 'good original' Power Major.
My question is what do I need to specifically look and check for?
All tin work, wings, bonnet, front nose are good.
Injectors and fuel injector pump have recently been fully serviced.
Tyres old but all hold air but I would aim to replace.
Otherwise hydraulics, transmission, brakes, pto, engine ???
Appreciate advice re: what I specifically need to check for.
Thanks malcolmg

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Power Major

Post by oehrick »

Nice one Malcolm

Usual check of the sump oil in case it has gone white & milky which might indicate the O rings on the liners need doing, likewise transmission although its like a cathedral in the back end and condensation or rain via gearstick is not unusual or a major (no pun in ten did) issue, likewise oil dribbling out of half shaft seals onto the wheel centres generally means seal between g/box and back end is leaking. Steering is worth checking in case it has been a loader tractor. Dexta would look nice hanging from the TPL like a lifeboat in case you miss anything but whatever you find its probably good for another 50 years of moderate work :)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

malcolmg
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by malcolmg »

Thanks, all good sound advice, what should I check re: brakes and lift as I would like to do some ploughing with it.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

The brakes are drums, similar to your Dexta although smaller (they are on the end of shafts which run at higher speed than the half-shafts) and easy enough to re-line if necessary, linings (or complete shoes) and springs are readily available. The handbrake is separate, with its own discs and linings, and may not work, there are people who drive the tractor with the handbrake on which is not good. Again parts are available, repair means delving into the transmission, I haven't done mine yet. There is also a latch which locks down the left-hand brake pedal.

There isn't much to go wrong with the lift, you need to have the pto (big lever by the clutch pedal) engaged as it also drives the pump. The tractor will probably have a dual clutch (same as Dexta) but there must have been a poverty-spec option of an old-fashioned single-stage clutch, certainly my first Super Major was like that.
The lift of a Power Major is rather less sophisticated than a Dexta's, there is no draft control, pull the lever up to lift, push it down to lower. It should stay at the same height when you let go the lever, if it droops, it will be some seals leaking, not hard to repair.

One of the best tractors ever made - get it bought! :D

Just to elaborate about the brakes, I took this photo when I had mine apart. Inside the back wheel you will see a round tin cover. It is held on with three 7/16" screws around the outside; take the cover off, and now you can see the brake drum, with one 15/16 bolt in the middle. Take out that bolt and you can then pull the drum off, it fits on the splines in the middle of this photo:

There are cables, just like a car's handbrake cable but with a grease-nipple on them, connecting the pedals to the brake drums. If these are seized or broken, again, new ones are available.
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

malcolmg
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by malcolmg »

Brilliant, many thanks, I've done the half shaft bearings and seals and brakes on my Dexta so if principles are similar that's covered.
I will be having a second look shortly, my biggest problem is where to keep it, I shall have to let go my Howard Gem Totovator to make room!!

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Check level of engine and gearbox oil.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

You might as well have this photo too, as it goes with the one above :D That is the brake drum lying on the floor, and the tin cover right at the bottom (only half visible).
This is not a Power Major but it was made for about a year before the Power was introduced, it is very similar as far as I know, apart from the instrument panel. It has a dual clutch and the more powerful engine.
The flat belt pulley must have been an optional extra, it is easy to retro-fit if you don't have one and feel you could use it. I'm pretty sure the steel front wheels were not available when this tractor was new, although they might have been an option on the Power Major - I don't know? The tractor also has [some of] the optional clutch-release, which quickly pulls down the clutch pedal if your plough hits some obstruction; but there are several pieces missing, including some of the special top-link. I'm not bothered, I don't need it.

A 60-year-old tractor, still working for its living: 8)

1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.