1957 fordson major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
markr1001
True Blue

Re: 1957 fordson major

Post by markr1001 »

So i have had basically no luck finding the throttle rod i need. I found one on ebay this morning that would have ended up being 60 bucks with shipping. So i drove 3 minutes down the road to the tractor dealer/ salvage place and what do ya know they have 2 or 3 of them.... first one i looked at had it and they only charged me 5 bucks. Also got all the boalts cracked loose on the loader for when i split the tractor to do the rear main seal.so im pretty happy. Im almost ready to split it now. Oh and hes gonna get me a price on a rebuild kit awell as he said he can likely get me a similar price and i wont have the surprise for duty/ tax when it comes in!

markr1001
True Blue

Post by markr1001 »

Well i got my tractor split today. Now i have got to figure out how to remove/check the clutch. Then when i get my kit i cam going to replace the rear main seal.

Wasnt too bad of a job so far. Bit of a pain getting the weight sorted out as i still have part of the loader frame attached. I will try and snap a few pics before i head to work!

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

I don't think we know which clutch you have - is it a single splined shaft protruding from the front of the gearbox, or two, one inside the other? The former shows you have the more basic,single-clutch, and the latter means you have the more sophisticated/modern, dual ('Live Drive') clutch.

Hurry up with those photos :lol:
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Mark, as Bob has outlined, you've got the dual-stage clutch. That's as much as I know about the subject. I have only worked on the single-stage clutch.
Re the rear seal, it comes in two parts, as you may know. The two halves should be cut so that a fraction of an inch protrudes at both ends, both on the sump and the block. Then when you mate block and sump you get a good seal. I did this , and soaked the seals in oil beforehand, but still had a leak for the first couple of months - oil dripping out of the pin hole in the sump. Then the leak stopped. The seal in the kits is pretty stiff, so it took a bit of time to bed in.
When you strip the block, don't forget to remove the two brass plugs either end of the longitudinal oil gallery. Use a pull-through (length of string with loop and rag) soaked in petrol to clean the bore. Work up to the correct size of rag for the pull-through. You don't want to get it jammed in the bore. Replace the plugs with some Loctite.
Wish you were just down the road. I'd love to have a look at your tractor.
Good luck.
Adrian

markr1001
True Blue

Post by markr1001 »

Ahhh great idea! Definatly will do that. I ordered my parts last night so i should see them mid week next week!

markr1001
True Blue

Post by markr1001 »

Wwll i disnt get much accomplished over the last 2 days... i did take measuremebts so i can make a clutch alignment tool at work this weekend. Also seen a reman sticker so thats a good sign!