Painting my Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mrmoore90
Not Quite Blue Yet

Painting my Major

Post by mrmoore90 »

Hello everyone I’m new to posting on the forum. I have a 1956 Major Diesel that I am in the middle of restoring, I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to how much paint I will need including the orange for wheels? Also what is your opinion on Tractol Enamel paint?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Painting my Major

Post by Bensdexta »

I wouldn't buy all your paint at once. You will probably want to do the painting in batches, as you derust and prep the surface. Prep is everything.

So buy a few tins to see how you get on.

Enamel or 2 pack - take your choice. Enamel is easier to apply, arguably more 'original' but perhaps not as durable as 2 pack. I have both on my tractor, and both seem to be holding up well in service.

Have a google, a few threads on here, eg http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=1780

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php ... or.163966/
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

mrmoore90
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mrmoore90 »

Thanks for the reply, I know where you’re coming from about buying a few tins at a time. My only worry is different batches there may be slight variations in colour/shade?

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

There is a growing move for original condition tractors which have some remaining original paint and not a vast amount of tin damage to be cleaned, surface rust gently removed and then 'held' in that condition by painting with something which seals such as boiled linseed oil - I had intended to raint my '58 major but as there are relatively few in original 'clothes' left now have changed my mind and decided to conserve rather than restore the paint.

You pays your money and takes your choice ;)

It is a common enough colour and if you keep to the same make (if you do repaint) there shouldn't be too much chance of noticeable colour variation.

Welcome aboard the forum - where in the world are you ?
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

The only time you will notice any difference in shades of colour will be for adjacent panels, eg nose cone and bonnet. If the axle or mud guards are slightly different, you'll never notice.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!