Pulling 3 bottom plow

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Old66ford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Pulling 3 bottom plow

Post by Old66ford »

Hello all!
So last year I found a 3 bottom Furgeson plow at a great deal so I bought it for my acreage and Super Major. This past weekend I finally got around to adding the 3rd bottom (PO removed it to only use as a 2 bottom) and took it for a spin on a 2 acre plot. Shined up fairly nicely, cuts great, but I will need to play with my adjustments to properly level it out. Last time I plowed was 15 years ago with a White 2-150 and a drawbar 5 bottom.
Here is a short video of the old girl in action.
https://youtu.be/KRi7crd9BvQ

Craig

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Pulling 3 bottom plow

Post by henk »

Very nice :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

You're not far off.. Narrow your front furrow a little, and maybe lengthen the top-link to let the back bottom/body in a little deeper.. then alter your ploughing depth and/or skimmers to bury all the grass?

It looks nice light soil, I can see why so many Scots left the rocky hillsides and wet boggy valleys to settle on the Canadian prairies :)
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

Deutz514
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Deutz514 »

:D Looks like a nice combonation and nice soil i just bought a 4 bottom ford 101 plow for my super major might have to take the last one off and make it a 3 bottom i live only couples hours away in fort st john :D

Old66ford
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Old66ford »

Thanks all!

Blackbob, why do you suggest narrowing the front furrow? And I tried to lengthen the top link, but even with a 3 foot pipe wrench it wasn't moving! And I don't believe I have skimmers.

Looks like nice light soil, but alot of clay. My garden suffer because of it, my carrots/potatoes wont grow more than 5inches down, and I need a shovel to get them out!

Deutz, If your soil is a bit softer than mine, I think it would pull a 4 bottom. I also have wide tires, they just fit in the furrow.

WIth my land, I only have 2-3 acres to plow every 2-3 years, so it won't see alot of use, but sure comes in handy for the grass.

Craig