Transmission leak

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mrmoore90
Not Quite Blue Yet

Transmission leak

Post by mrmoore90 »

Hi guys, I got my 1956 Major Diesel going yesterday and took it for a run, however when I stopped there was quite a bad oil leak coming from a split pin at the bottom of the bell housing. It seems to be transmission oil rather than engine oil as it’s very clean oil but I also noticed the engine oil very thin and the level had risen quite a bit above the max level.

So I am wondering how the transmission oil is getting into the engine? Does the crankshaft oil seal and transmission input seal both need replaced? Also what oil is correct for the transmission? I have 10w30 in at the minute.

Thanks Michael

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Transmission leak

Post by mathias1 »

Michael,

Probably it is the seal on the ingoing shaft that is leaking. The crankshaft seal is behind the flywheel. But if any of them is faulty you will sea oil coming out the clutch housing.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi, sounds like either the input shaft seal has failed on the gearbox, or the rear crankshaft oil seal on the engine - both involve splitting the tractor between engine and gearbox.

Regarding the thin and high engine oil, transmission oil cannot get into the engine, it is more likely an injection problem, or a leaking diesel return pipe which is located under the rocker cover.

May also be worth checking your coolant level doesn't go down (although you havent mentioned milky looking engine oil) this could be a leaky liner or block.
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

The most likely common cause for thin engine oil liver the max on the dipstick and smells of diesel is a failed lift pump diaphragm.
Cheers Stuart
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader