Timing gears

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
62Super
Not Quite Blue Yet

Timing gears

Post by 62Super »

Hi Im trying to rebuild a 61 super major it has been in pieces for a couple years .
I'm installing the timing gears all my gears except the crank gear have two marks on them is this
normal. also when my marks line up the engine is on top dead centre on number 4 intake
stroke. I'm starting to pull out my hair.i don't have the flywheel on or the fuel pump yet .
I've been looking at it so long I'm getting all mixed up any help would be appreciated.

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Timing gears

Post by Puffie40 »

Not sure if this will help, but what kind of service manual are you using?

The Swedish Fordson site has a scan of the factory service manual: http://www.fordson.se/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 057fc93d5d

It might help you out with the timing marks

62Super
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Timing gears

Post by 62Super »

Thanks for the links to the manual there is a lot more detail in this one than mine .I have an IT one that has a bunch of different models in
one book some times confusing allthough it has most things in it . I decided because they are on keyed shafts that the only one that I should be able to
get wrong would be the auxiliary shaft gear . I put the pump drive coupler on and the bolt for tightening it to the shaft is on the bottom
so I believe that should be correct. so now I've moved on to setting the valves I cant remember what position they need to be in to check the clearance.

thanks for your help