Some Mk1, 2 & 3 engine info

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Some Mk1, 2 & 3 engine info

Post by oehrick »

Interesting item on the Power Major in F & F Mag celebrating its 60th birthday - It notes some Mk1 Mk11 & Mk111 engine variants I don't recall seeing before which I thought worthwhile recording here. (Original article by Jane Brooks)

Mk1 upgraded to Mk11 in Apr / May 1957 from engine no 1425097 bringing it to 51.8hp at 1600 rpm
Shorter push rods (299.7mm)
New injector nozzle N141 (pumps mods not mentioned - may need investigating)
Enlarged bypass port
Different waterpump gaslet
New oilpump with integral PRV, different pickup filter
New pistons
New front engine plate & different sump
New cylinder head with inline ports

Mk111 launched with the Power Major August 1958 engine no 1481091 and
Inc Super Major October 1960 Engine no 1575886

Used SHORTER 'RIGHT HANDED' rocker arms
Reverted to the Mk1 injector nozzles N123
Timing 23 BTDC to accound for modified pump plunger travel
In 1962 FPM (& FSM) from engine no O8B-756398, the Minimec pump with mechanical governor (still marked Simms) was used.

With nozzle, push rod, rocker and pump variations, tread carefully '57 - '62 Major Owners who might have a 'pick & mix engine !

:needpics:

edit to add first PM 7 SM engine Nos from elsewhere
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Some Mk1, 2 & 3 engine info

Post by henk »

Mk1 upgraded to Mk11 in Apr / May 1957 from engine no 1425097 bringing it to 51.8hp at 1600 rpm

I think thats the NP super Major hp.

Mk111 launched with the Power Major August 1958 engine no 1481091 and
Inc Super Major October 1960 Engine no 1575886

Mk1 upgraded to Mk11 in Apr / May 1957 from engine no 1425097, that is correct. I have one of the last ones. With the introduction of the Power Major there were only small changes on the engine and I don't think that this led to the MK111 number.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

I've put it down as reported in the Magazine as a convenience to those members who do not read the F&F Henk, obviously I can't directly vouch for the data correctness but it most definitely states the Mk111 was launched with the Power Major NOT the New Performance Major.

My April 1958 Diesel Major has the Mk11 engine, it seems Ford had a quiet period of evaluation of the uprated engine for a year plus before announcing the power increase (First 50HP plus Fordson) and must have had adverse feedback which they corrected in the Mk111 (I do wish some authors would specify what the HP referred to - IHP BHP at engine / pto / drawbar etc.)

This is an area where the forum has been so fortunate previously with Brian having been hands on with a lot of this and able to cut through all the legends, opinions and incorrect assumptions with actual first person hands on experience.

It was the 'little' things like pushrod, rocker & nozzle variants which I thought important to record as they are likely to bug a restorer working from parts of unknown origin.

It's your forum now chaps so you have the undisputed right to delete the thread or posting if you disagree :)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

henk

Post by henk »

Rick,

We do not disagree. And it's good to post such things so that the reader can investigate them selfs what is right or wrong.
You state it very clear that the above is not what you think or know, but whats in the magazine.

Your right about Brian, we miss him very much as a mentor. :cry:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Glad of that Henk :)

I can't wait for Brian's book, I bet there will be some interesting stuff there.

I had hoped to see him before now but have apparently broken the bottom end of my Tibia so missed the Norwich tractor show and since going to the hospital have been 'banned' from driving :(
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure