Hello from a newbee

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dinny
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hello from a newbee

Post by Dinny »

Hello All
I have recently been asked to renovate a fordson tractor by my mother in law. Whilst not a mechanic i am handy enough and with a bit of a steer from friends and plenty of time im confident ill get some noise out of her again (the tractor not the mother in law). Can any one here give me a steer on how to identify the major, i.e. what model / year. Heres a few pics (hopefully they will up load ok )

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Hello from a newbee

Post by mathias1 »

If I'm correct the serial number is 1369585 which makes your tractor a december 1955 major!

Give it a good clean with a power washer before you get your spanners on it.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Dinny,

See you made it here whit a number of pictures. :D

It,s an early machine as Mathias say. The diesel pump has the four boulted cover plate instead of the later eight bolt cover.
Best to check if the engine has the same number as on the plate. It's found on the diesel pump side at the front cilinder just below the head. Theres a flat peace on the engine and it should have a number.

While you at there lower the lever on the front of the cover. It will never start in the up position but can damage the valves. It's a valve lifter.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

From here, it looks in pretty good condition, and mostly complete - although it is missing the hose between the air filter and manifold, so put that on your shopping list, although the engine will start up without it.

Is there oil and water in it? Have you tried on a battery, does it turn over?
A car battery (one from, say, a 2-litre diesel car) should be big enough to start it in summer, although it would be better with a 643 or 644 size https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... y&_sacat=0

We already discussed in other threads, how to start a Major - push in the excess-fuel button on the pump, turn the key, then push down the horizontal lever on your left.

And if it won't fire, you could try this stuff: :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1YndLmbXQ
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Wynns Wins! :lol: :clap:
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Dinny
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dinny »

Thanks for the info Gents,
First order of business is s good power wash. Then ive a few hoses to replace prior yo trying to start, also the wiring loom is in bits so ill be sourcing a new one.
Once again thanks for the inital steer
Regards Dinny