Super Major Hydraulics

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major Hydraulics

Post by tomgator »

I have what I believe to be a 64 FSM. The hydraulics aren't working. I wanted to check the fluid level but I'm not sure where to check. There is a large flanged nut on the rear, but no fluid there at all. I looked inside and it is clean but no fluid visible. If this is the reservior what fluid should I be using and how much? If not could someone point me in the right direction?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Super Major Hydraulics

Post by mathias1 »

Hello Tom,

if your tractor is built in 1964 it should be a super major new performance. The color is blue with grey fenders and wheels.The large nut on the rear is where you need to fill up. The dipstick can be found just in front of the gear lever. The reservoir holds about 40 liters.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

I found a dipstick there just in front of where the tranny bolts up. The stick has "trans" stamped in it. It shows full, but a little milky. Tractor been sitting for a couple years. Another thing I found is the Hi-Lo range lever only will go down, (low) and neutral. I've pulled up pretty hard on it and can't get it to go up . I was trying to upload pics but no luck yet.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

tomgator wrote:I found a dipstick there just in front of where the tranny bolts up. The stick has "trans" stamped in it. It shows full, but a little milky. Tractor been sitting for a couple years. Another thing I found is the Hi-Lo range lever only will go down, (low) and neutral. I've pulled up pretty hard on it and can't get it to go up . I was trying to upload pics but no luck yet.
as for the hydraulics: your tractor will be more than happy to get some fresh new oil. You will need to take of the hydraulic cover, as it's about 100% there's a valve not working properly.

The Hi-lo range normally doesn't have a neutral position. Sometimes the gears can be difficult to find, pressing the clutch fully down can make it more easily to find the gears.

for the pictures: I'm using postimage.org, photobucket is also used by a number of users.

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

I tthought I'd post these pics or try to:
[imgImage

[/img]

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

I did some reading last night and saw that non live PTO tractors, the PTO has to be engaged to operate the lift. I tried the lift with the PTO engaged and it would lift then, but would not go down without me putting some weight on it. I thought my Super Major had live PTO. What's the difference between live and independent PTO?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Tom,
On a major you always need to put on the pto as the pump is driven by the pto shaft. Live drive means you can change gears without interupting the pto. This is of interest when you use balers or other equipment

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, AND the useful information. Back to the Hi-low lever. In the down position all works fine. I guess what I thought was a neutral position is actually supposed to be the upper or hi gear. It snaps right into the upper position, but no tractor movement. Any suggestions?

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

It might be possible your lever is slipping on the shifter shaft. Is there any gear grinding when you try to move it up?

Try taking the sheet metal cover off to give the lever some extra swing.