E1A Crankshaft Issue

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Jameshiatt
Not Quite Blue Yet

E1A Crankshaft Issue

Post by Jameshiatt »

Hi guys, I’ve just rebuilt the engine in the above but it feels tight on the crank I’ve had it running but after it stops it goes tight then after a little while it frees up a bit... and will start again. I noticed when I built it up that each main had 2 oil oil galleries one feed and then one that then fed the can bearings apart from No.2 which only has one that runs to the cam does anyone know where the oil feed comes from as I’m wondering if it maybe has a blocked oil way? Any suggestions very welcome! Thanks James

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: E1A Crankshaft Issue

Post by oehrick »

Did you have the crankpin and mains ground Jamie ? if not it would be well worth having the shells out again and looking closely to see if there is a bright line to indicate they are rubbing somewhere and need easing with a scraper, likewise in case anything has prevented one fully seating properly.

Happy hunting, at least its brick outhouse technology rather than Rolls Royce tolerances so chance of harm lowish
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: E1A Crankshaft Issue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello James
Could you run us though the procedure you adopted to rebuild the engine? I ask, as the block should ideally have been stripped and the oil galleries cleaned, as should the oil galleries in the crank.
My guess is that you did do this, and that you have arrived at a mismatch between your crank bearing surfaces, which I understand are original, and the replacement bearing liners. Sometimes repro bearing liners are not manufactured to the correct tolerances. I'm guessing, again (!), that you have higher than normal oil pressure. Could you let us know what the pressure is?
Best, Adrian.