Whats on my PTO?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dinny
Not Quite Blue Yet

Whats on my PTO?

Post by Dinny »

Anyone have info on what this is on my PTO ?

Thanks

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Whats on my PTO?

Post by oehrick »

Its a raised PTO Dinny, someone else may confirm but I think it also allowed quick engage / disengage and raised the PTO revs - I've not had one so not 100% sure
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Yes, Raised PTO.

I Think it slows the PTO down to 540, but I'm not sure on this .

Richard.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

You can use the lever to disgage the pto and only use the hydraulics. It wil also change the gear ratio, you can use higher engine speed to have it on 540rpm
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Dinny
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dinny »

Thanks a million for speedy replies. Sometning else to refurb !!
Regards
Din

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Yes, it is a raised PTO unit, it gives better alignment of the drive shaft on a trailed power driven implement. It is also geared so that 540 rpm at the shaft is achieved with an engine speed of 1600 rpm as against an engine speed of 1200 rpm for the standard PTO shaft. This allows far greater power to be delivered at the PTO at the standard 540 rpm, albeit the forward travel speeds are obviously increased with the increased engine revs. As others have said it also allows the hydraulic pump to run ( the pump is driven off the main PTO shaft and engaged with the lever at the side of the clutch pedal) whilst having the output shaft from the raised PTO disengaged.

It is one of the most desired accessories for the Fordson Major, worth about £500
on it's own, so if you have bought a tractor with it already fitted you have done well!
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Dinny
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dinny »

shepp wrote:
It is one of the most desired accessories for the Fordson Major, worth about £500
on it's own, so if you have bought a tractor with it already fitted you have done well!
:D

Thats great to know cheers.