FMD injector problems

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: FMD injector problems

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Shepp.

This afternoon a friend trailered the old girl from where she has lived and still works from time to time over to where I live as I've some jobs to do and am still hampered with 'The Boot' which is holding the detached bit to the rest of my leg while it heals (thankfully as of last week they have allowed me to start driving again) so I've checked what I believe to be the original pump and it is an SPE 4A 75S 498 (last 3 digits a date or batch code ? must be too few digits for a serial No??) so my needing cold start boost even when hot is not down to the wrong pump.

Had a real problem starting her,initially turned over and then just stopped, I'd taken the donkey as the battery is not exactly brilliant (the donkey is a Suffolk mower engine driving an alternator) but no big spanner or stilsons thankfully I had enough socket extensions to lever using the starting handle dogs, after a lot of prolonged pressure I got her over compression and suspecting water in a pot pulsed the starter, three revs and stop so barred again and this produced water in the exhaust so after a few times by hand the starter took her over the compression on that cylinder and a nasty amount of water blew out of the exhaust when she fired up, I'm guessing head gasket as the coolant has been a shade oily, no water in sump so unlikely to be a liner O ring, yet more jobs I hadn't planned on ! Oh and I forgot to bring her blanket over so as a result she had a fit of the sulks and died, blocking the lane after I had relocated the trailer that stood where she is to stand and a neighbour had to wait, somewhat bemused, while I blew out the blockage in the tank tap / filter and bleed through before she would start again!

Where did you get the pump data BTW ? I was most disappointed to find the Haynes E1A manual is even more useless than the one for the 940 Volvo and that is pretty poor compared to how they used to be.

Cheers & beers
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi Rick

Your pump SPE 4A 75S 498 is the first production series of the pumps with the 7.5mm diameter pumping elements, so this would tie in with your engine being an early mark2 engine. The numbers on the end denote the production series, for the pumps with 7.5mm diameter elements these were "498", "527", and "647". Various changes to the pumps with 7.5mm elements were made as they evolved through the mark 2 and mark 3 engines, such as changes to the governor springs, pump element helix angle, delivery valves, cam followers etc., so as to improve the performance charactristics of the engines.

For the early pumps with 7.0mm diameter plungers type SPE 4A 70S the series were "296" and "380".

Incidentally, whilst earlier pumps with 7.0mm diameter plungers can be fitted to the later mark 2 and mark 3 engines in an emergency provided the injection timing is modified appropriately, the later pumps with 7.5mm diameter elements should NOT be fitted to the earlier mark 1 engines.

Data is from Simms service books and technical bulletins and Fordson original workshop manual.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Paulalmond
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Paulalmond »

Gents I want to thank you and I think I have sorted my injector problems now.

New(ish) reconditioned pump fitted and timed even with rusty flywheel. Tractor starts like a dream and fairly smoke free. I’ve not take her out for a run yet but hoping to be able to get out in the next day or so.

Replaced the fuel filter to injector pipe and olives which has stopped the weeping and looks like that was what I thought was a leaking cam plate. The problem with a clean injector is the weeping was hard to see and seemed to be coming from somewhere it wasn’t.

The old injector was full of diesel when I took it off so I think it was knackered.

New injector filled with oil and ready to go.

Now for the oil leaks.....

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Thanks Shepp, its amazing what we know collectively :)

Great news Paul, lets hope its an area you can tick off the list now as fixed :clap: Not sure where you are located but if UK, you may be handy if there is any timber down in this big blow on its way overnight, its pretty breezy here in Norfolk an no one seems to strip overgrown ivy from hedgerow oaks so there is generally some woodburner fodder blocking the roads after a wind and needing relocating :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Just a round-up update, the head is currently on the workbench, No 3 pot has a perforated fire ring which had been the source of the rad dumping its contents also hydraulic locked the cylinder as water part filled it. lots of coke around the injector tips and the valves are gradually being ground back into sealing compression, bores wearingf slightly with a little ridge above top ring but otherwise carrying its 60 years bravely :)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure