Wiring up my 64 Super Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Wiring up my 64 Super Major

Post by tomgator »

My Super Major wiring is a mess. I plan on ordering a new harness but I would to see if my generator and regulator work first.
I am looking for a simplified wiring diagram that I can use to test it all out.
My generator has two terminals, one large, one smaller.
The regulator, on the bottom are 4 wires and a slotted screw head. the terminals are labeled as follows:
D E (screw) A F
I would like to find a "simple" and direct wiring diagram. The ones I find by searching are mostly complete tractor diagrams and i want to eliminate all the extras, Currently, I simply use a solenoid and push button to start, and that's really all I need to run, but no charging system.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Wiring up my 64 Super Major

Post by henk »

Tom,

As far as I know there are two complete wiring diagram. One for the New Major and one for the Super Major and nothing of the kind you are searching.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

A simple diagram 'to test it out' is not possible, Tom: you need a volt meter and ammeter [in the 25amp range] to test and adjust the system.
However, a simple way with a volt meter [not ammeter] is to place the probes across the battery terminals [observing polarity] and, firstly, record the reading before start-up and then a second reading as soon as possible after start-up and at about 75% engine revs.
The first reading should be about, or just above, 12.5volts with a good battery. The second reading should be about 1 plus volts above the first as the generator is working flat out to replace the capacity lost whilst turning over a cold diesel engine.

If you find that the charge system is not performing as it should I would like to suggest that you convert it to an alternator one. Suitable second-hand Lucas units, with inbuilt regulator, are as cheap as chips from a car wreckers; very, very easy to wire up -- but do require a bit of work with washers to line up the pulleys.

Have a nice warm day.
Pavel

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

Thanks for the replies. I did figure it out.
I found a wiring diagram of the regulator. From the regulator D terminal to the big terminal of the generator, then the F terminal to the field of the Genny, the red to accessory terminal of the key switch, the E terminal on the regulator to ground. The key switch has a positive 12V to it.
When the key is "on" it makes the circuit to the battery. The charging circuit at about 1000rpm is putting out about 15A. All is disconnected when key switch is off. Hope this helps others.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Just in case you need more information.
All the information is there for the wiring between dynamo, solenoid, regulator and starterswitch
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch