Engine Replacment.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
poppyteal
Not Quite Blue Yet

Engine Replacment.

Post by poppyteal »

Hi All

I have a 1957 Live Drive Major whos engine is very tiered. I have the chance of a very good 1955 non live drive engine. Can I swap the engines? is it just a matter of changing the flywheel and clutch over from my original major or are there other matters I need to consider. I read somthing on another site that the 1955 engine has a hollow crank and therfore there are power transmission issues with the live drive clutch or is this not the case? Any info would be great.

Kind Regards
Martin.

Roadless63
True Blue

Re: Engine Replacment.

Post by Roadless63 »

I have put later engines into diesel majors and the only issues have been different sized pin in sump for radius arm (bigger on super major) different throttle linkage requirements (between minimech & vacuum type pump), neither of these should be an issue for you.
I haven't had issues with flywheels fitting but cant say I've specifically put a live drive clutch/flywheel onto an early engine that would have been 'pre' live drive era. Once you have the two engines out it will soon be apparent whether they can be swapped across. Engine will potentially be less powerful if mk1 being fitted in place of a later type.
Theres other oddities like the earlier engines don't have the mounting pad and tapped holes for power steering pump (only a problem if you have power steering fitted) although there was a special bracket available to allow fitment to earlier engines.