Super or not.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
SvendH
True Blue

Super or not.

Post by SvendH »

Greetings all!
I was looking over an orange wheeled super the other day and was surprised to find that it was non live-drive although it had the super lift rear end.Is it possible that supers were sold in this specification as new or is it a "mix-major" . High range was down /low up for the range leaver.
any help appretiated!

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Super or not.

Post by mathias1 »

Hello Sven,

Back in the day Live drive was an option, so you could order it on you tractor.
To be sure the tractor is a super major, it should have disc brakes, a super major lift (if fitted) and a engine number corresponding to the 'super' era.
My super major is a non Live drive, it's fitted with the heavy duty 13" clutch.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

My Super is a single stage clutch. There are arguments for and against live-drive. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of the single stage clutch, which is the better option for most jobs the tractor will be asked to do; better in that a complex component that isn't required is taken out of the equation. Just my opinion!
Best, Adrian.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Live or not is ok with me as long as it works!
Wot about meck vs vacume governers, are they differet to drive and work with ? any idears on why vacume was ditched ,which is preferable?

E1ACharlie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E1ACharlie »

Hi Sven,
I personally prefer the live drive option having 6 Majors fitted with it for use with loaders, forklift, topper, mower, haybob and baler work..... which leads me to answer your question regarding minimec v's pneumatic governors. The minimec was introduced in 1962 (pre blue/grey Supers) and provided slightly more power but a much simplified throttle system requiring only one control rod to the back of the pump rather than several to reach the air intake manifold where a butterfly is located and 2 pipes to convey air to/from the governor on the pump.
Now, having driven both types driving many implements I have to say I prefer the pneumatic type as it seems to handle engine loading better, it seems to respond quicker than the minimec type. An example is when hay baling and on reaching a heavier part of the crop the pneumatic governor responds to give a more consistent PTO speed where as the minimec will allow the engine to be "pulled down" further, the pneumatics just seem to have a bit more grunt somehow!

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Hi Charlie
With 6 majors you should know the difference!
From what i have seen i would think the vacume tractors regulator is much the same as used on diesel car and light trucks of the same period
whilst the minimec looks more like something used on stationary engines like power-generators and other industrial applications ? could the move from vacume to minimec be a produktion cost-cutting (profit increasing) exercise ? I bet it was!

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Well now she`s home now my super and I have a good gut feeling about her :D
There is an issue whith the lift though,the lift handle can only move about 1 inch or so upwards from bottom of the quadrant.This causes the liftarms to climb to max raised posistion,if I let go af the handle it
pops back down and down go the arms to the ground again (just about).The previos owner put a block of wood under the handle when he needed to use the lift !!
The tractor is in the colours of the mk1 super , the engine is marked S 672738 and the head is marked "FL". While giving her er spin on the road she seemed higher geared than other supers i have driven,the jump from 5th to 6th gear requiring a bit of care with the clutch as not to stall the engine?? High is down/low up (range lever)
Any of this mean something to you gurues :beer: