fordson super major deisel in oil

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
helena
Not Quite Blue Yet

fordson super major deisel in oil

Post by helena »

This is my findings short verson

The tractor is taking deisel into the oil and as soon as it gets warm it starts leeking out the bottom.
and it dies out/ stopps running.

Changing the original fuel pump I hoped would fix the issue and I opted to change filter and housing because the bleed nut was stripped.

Now I found that I can no longer pump manually to make diesel exit the new filter only by turning the engine over can i do so and get air.

it's cold so I keep draining my battery hampering investigations.

I suctioned fuel from filter bleed valve and got it started only to arrive at it stops while warm.

I got diesel in the filter next to govenor, the glass bowl on fuel pump housing is fuller than I am used to seeing it.
I belive the pump is working but fuel taking a diffrent path then i want.

I also noted that if i run with out compression just to force fuel to filter I leak diesel out of "flywheel timing mark observation window"
how could it get there?

the engine number is 1601366 i understand that would make it a mack 3 with timing and spec. it is a 1962 in the papers .
Last edited by helena on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pavel
True Blue

Re: fordson super major deisel in oil

Post by Pavel »

G'day Helena -- and welcome.
ALL diesel Majors need, and have, a priming lever -- otherwise priming is next to impossible as you have found [but I admire your effort of 'extraction' bleeding which obviously worked or the engine would not have started in the first place]. Therefor you have been given the wrong fuel lift pump.
The reason diesel is leaking could be traced to either a slightly loose union nut or one that is cross threaded [very easy to do].
How, though, do you know that diesel is getting into the oil sump?
Lastly; there is a ring gasket that the glass bowl sits on. If broken or warped it would cause leaks and air in the system.
Pavel

helena
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by helena »

I worked that lever until the spring broke then rebuilt it with the spring from the old one.
Tragically the cold temps outside makes me not want to stand around and prime it.
I have no fuel in my sims fuel injection pump bleed screw either. however on the "return going to tank from head cover left side" it wheeps when I loosend it.

taking out the dipstick it reeks of diesel with a viscosity that has nothing to do with oil and where is leeks from bottom you can see its is not oil hitting the snow.
The pump is correct I got the Agri with the glass and longer rocker.

Thanks for your reply Pavel

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

you could get diesel in the oil if the return pipe is leaking (under the rocket cover)
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

helena
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by helena »

Thanks Mathias, just the amount of fuel buildup makes me think it's different cause,the fact that once running it will stop and have evacuated fuel for air past filter to injector pump bothers me.
anyhow It is great you wrote I will check it out. Thanks again

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Perhaps the primer pump Has leaked duel Into the crankcase?

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Fuel not duel !!

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi

If the engine stops at the high part of the lift pump cam you will not be able to operate it by the hand lever, turn the engine half a turn and try again. If the rubber diaphragm has developed a hole, fuel may be able to run into the block where the pump drive lever goes - sorry didn't think of this when you first posted.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

helena
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by helena »

Great Thanks for the advice when it was cold befor I would spinn it manually in the front to make it easier for the starter to catch and Co incidentally it was priming fine then.

I would also think it was a pump had it not been for the fact that it was replaced in 2016 and the modern rubber cant be that bad and sadly the one we pulled was fine but the new one was left in the tractor.

If the new parts where better made than the old ones I would gladly go on a change all parts rampage but sadly they are not.

So having fuel in the return line at a high point of engine and air in the middle of the flow leads me to think tractor burns off fuel and somehow is unable to suck more leak must be there about or if return is clogged would the pressure make it leak thru upper valve gasket.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Lift pump would be most likely culprit. Sadly some of the new replacement parts are not the best quality wise. This would explain diesel in sump and lack of fuel at injector pump. As has been said engine can stop with camshaft holding fuel pump lever 'up' but this should be easy to tell. The other thing to check is that the return line under rocker cover isn't leaking I've seen several with dry joints where banjo is soldered onto return pipe.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

G'day to you, Helena. Any success with overcoming your problems yet? We do like to know.
In the offchance that you have not I offer my further thoughts on your 2 problems -- (1) fuel leakage into the oil system and onto the ground/snow:(2) engine stopping when warm.
Firstly I would suggest that they are not related -- these are 2 separate problems.
All injectors have a leak off valve to overcome excessive pressure from the injector pump -- especially at max. revs. -- which is why there is a leak off pipe circuit inside the rocker cover. Over years of work the valves lose their pressure [one reason to have them serviced and calibrated about every 5 years]. As Roadless suggested I would urge you to remove the rocker cover and check the washers under the banjo nuts and the tightness of the nuts. As well, inspect the pipework for cracks/leaks. This also applies to the banjo union at the rear of the engine block because it is here that fuel dribble could run round the clutch bell housing onto your snow.
As to your pump[s]; remember that there are 2 valves inside it [1 inlet & 1 outlet] -- these also can cause problems. I suggest you couple up your old pump to a tin of fuel and, by manually pressing the operating lever with your hand, determine if the pump keeps squirting out a strong burst of fuel each time for every press. This will also tell you if fuel is leaking from the inside oilseal and the glass bowl seal gasket. This test should also be done with the new pump you have fitted.
It has also been suggested that the problem may be caused by a partially blocked fuel tap filter. A few days ago this problem was discussed on another post.
Keep at it -- you'll win eventually.
Pavel