paint colour

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Evos3960
Not Quite Blue Yet

paint colour

Post by Evos3960 »

Hello everybody,
Could some nice person please tell me what colour the toolbox should be on a Super Major np I have two one has a blue toolbox the other has a grey on which is correct

Many thanks,

Peter

Timeee
True Blue

Re: paint colour

Post by Timeee »

Dear Peter

My August 1963 New Performance Super Major came with a blue painted toolbox as original. I cannot ever recall seeing a grey wing Super Major with a grey toolbox. Of course, the NP tractors came with (lighter) New Performance Blue paint, rather than the darker blue on the earlier Super, Power and "straight" Majors with orange wheels.
There should be no "fordson" letter pressings on the box lid, or side, but an original locking tab will have "enfo" stamped into it.......but that is probably for the anoraks! Ha ha!

Tim E

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Maybe it depends on where the toolbox is mounted, mine is near the starter on the chassisrails, seen them also on the inside of the rear wings
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

This might be helpful.
Best, Adrian.

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

According to the Parts List, the toolbox was only ever mounted on "the Left Hand Fender" if an Inertia starter was fitted. As most tractors appear to have a conventional electric starter, that may explain why most toolboxes were mounted on the left hand chassis rail. Sometimes they were moved, so that they did not foul the action of some front hydraulic loaders, as were the headlights on Power and earlier Majors. Otherwise, I agree that if you have it bolted to the grey fender/wing, a blue one would look rather odd.

Tim E

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Timeee wrote:According to the Parts List, the toolbox was only ever mounted on "the Left Hand Fender" if an Inertia starter was fitted. As most tractors appear to have a conventional electric starter, that may explain why most toolboxes were mounted on the left hand chassis rail. Sometimes they were moved, so that they did not foul the action of some front hydraulic loaders, as were the headlights on Power and earlier Majors. Otherwise, I agree that if you have it bolted to the grey fender/wing, a blue one would look rather odd.

Tim E
I've always found it more logic to put it on the fender. It's where you need it to store the link pins and stuff.
Still need to install one on the super 4. That will go on the fender, as there's no room at all to put it on the side rail.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Evos3960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Evos3960 »

Hello Timee Mathias1 and Adrian,

Thank you all very much for the information on toolbox colour. I am glad that because it is fixed to the side rail it should be blue because that is what my show tractor is, so, as I am going to Stradsett show with it in May I can go knowing everything is right. This will be my first show, My word it has been a long road to get here. I would have liked to send you a picture to see what you think but I can;t work out how to do it. Hey Ho :clap: :clap:

Thanks very much once again

Peter