Super major transmissions leak

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Livewire84
True Blue

Super major transmissions leak

Post by Livewire84 »

I have a leak in my transmission where the brake and clutch pedals go through the chest, for a lack of better explanation.
Basically where the brake pedals attach on the right side, it is leaking, and where the clutch is in the left it is leaking.
I assume there is a seal of some kind behind there, but wonder how big of a pain in the butt it is to stop the leak.
My pedals also have a fair amount of side to side play ( wear I assume ) on the inside, where it rides on the shaft.
It leaks quite a bit of fluid out. Enough to soak a spot on the ground every night, about 1/2 wide by however long the width of the transmission is.
I currently use 15-40 motor oil in the transmission, and was wondering if I used a thicker oil, would that help ?
Thicker oil, replace seals, or just keep adding oil ?
Anyone ever dealt with this ?
Thanks for any input.

SvendH
True Blue

Re: Super major transmissions leak

Post by SvendH »

That would be oil from the hydraulic sump.Oil level not too high?

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

I found a picture online, after reading your comment, and did not realize the shaft passes from side to side through the rear end and not the transmission !
I just got done draining the rear end and putting a oring in the hydraulic pump. That would have been the time to do it !
How hard are the seals to find in America ?
I may have overfilled the rear end a little.
I put about 12 gallons of 15-40 oil in the rear end.
Oddly enough, when i checked the transmission fluid level, by removing the large fill cap, it was low. I am confused after seeing a picture of the shaft that the pedals are mounted to, actually in the rear end and not in the transmission at all, why my transmission would be low with no visible leaks anywhere.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Oil level in rear-end should be checked with the dipstick next to the long gearlever.Lift-arms down!
Transmission (gearbox) is checked at the alu-fillercap by the clutch pedal.oil should be close to overflowing.
Thicker oil wont help much against leaks,only slow down hydraulics.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Moost of the time the oil seal is wearing because the shaft bushes became to big and the shaft kan move freely in the bush.
New bushes and new oil seal is the best thing to do. No big job. If I remember well you have to drain moost of the oil in the rear end.
Bushes maybe for sale somewhere now days. I made new ones myself. Buying the oil seal is not a problem.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

After using the tractor for several hours, I am losing about 2 gallons of 15-40 oil out of the transmission, even though the leak seems to be coming from the brake pedals. The rear end level, which is checked by the dipstick, hasn't changed at all.
The cap that I have to use a wrench to remove by my clutch pedal, it down half way, atleast again.
It was half way down from the top, I filled it back up to the top. Used the tractor pulling a plow, and then pulled some trees that had been cut, and when I checked it tonight, it is back down to half way, which is about 2 gallons low again.
Why am I losing transmission fluid if my pedals are leaking ?
Can I put gear oil in the transmission to slow the leak down ?
I have had to start parking it over the top of a oil catch container, because it is leaking soo bad. I want to eventually repair it correctly, and pull the brake shaft and put new bushing and seals and all, but are there any temporary measures that won't harm the tractor that I can do for now ?
Thanks.