forson super major hydraulic pump

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
kissamo
Not Quite Blue Yet

forson super major hydraulic pump

Post by kissamo »

Hi members

i have bought a fordson super major and it has a problem with hydraulic pump. it seems when the oil in not hot the pump is functioning but after working for sometime lifting a plough is a problem until you run the engine . what could be the problem. i suspect the pressure is leaking somewhere in the pump. any help?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: forson super major hydraulic pump

Post by mathias1 »

Hello,

Welcome here.
your lift problem can have a few causes.
First thing you need to check is your pump pressure. Can you hook on a pressure gauge on the tipping pipe? you should get a pressure around 2400 psi.
Once you're sure the pump is alright, we can look further into a stuck valve or something else.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

kissamo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kissamo »

HI MATHIAS,

Thanks for you comments. i will work on nit and come back for ant further developments.

CHEERS :clap: :clap:

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

I just went through my entire hydraulic system on a 62 power major. Does it lift correctly when the oil is cool ? You say it lift poorly when the oil is hot. That sounds like the oil is thinning down under heat, which is normal, and leaking past a oring or seal.
When was the last time the oil was changed and the pick up screen in the sump cleaned ? What does the oil look like right now ?
Will it lift up ( tractor running ) and hold a load for several minutes with the tractor turned off ? Or does it bleed down rather fast ? If not, could be ram cylinder oring.
If it is not building pressure at all, it could be, ram cylinder oring, pump oring is either worn or blown, unloading valve hanging up in bore or oring is worn.
And I am sure I am forgetting quite a few things... lol
Mine wouldn't lift 1000lbs period. Ended up being a blown oring in the pump.
The lift top is a bit heavy to try to pick up by yourself.
I used a come a long, and a tree branch and pulled it myself.
Very easy job and I have never once worked on hydraulics.

Hans 32
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: fordson super major hydraulic pump

Post by Hans 32 »

My Super Major is not lifting anything, nothing moves...
Took off the cover already and freed the stuck control valve spool.
The piston of the lift cylinder is holding pressure when I close the oil entrance and push the cylinder in.
Have no 100 bar meter, used a car compression (sparkplug) measurement tool, that gave me 4 bar = 58 psi measured on the tube that goes into the lift cover.
Can I conclude that the pump is failing?
When I move the lift arms by hand, I hear the piston rod falling, so there is no movement of the piston...