62 super major leveling box and link help

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Livewire84
True Blue

62 super major leveling box and link help

Post by Livewire84 »

I have a 62 super major that I want to get a leveling box for.
I found out however that the left side of the tractor, leveling arm is froze solid, so even with heat from a torch, it isn't budging !
At this point, I can live with the left side, but would like to find a leveling box to use a box blade or turn plows correctly.
I am in the U.S. and everything I am finding is either not available to be shipped here, or so expensive, it seems not worth it, yet.
I have been doing some digging and was wondering are there any other tractors that the leveling box and left side leveling arm will work off of, even if slight modifications are needed ? I looked up a massey Ferguson 165 and it looks close, but not close enough for me.
Tractor supply has them in stock for around 80$ for a MF 165, and a Ford say 4000, but nothing that I have found that I feel comfortable anough to spend that kind of money and be wrong. So I figured I would ask the experts what yall have done ?
Thanks for any suggestions.http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/feagb ... sort=1&o=0

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: 62 super major leveling box and link help

Post by mathias1 »

Your left side is an original fordson part, right side isnt. I'm not sure, but the 5000 would fit also
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

The one on the left on my tractor is frozen. I have tried everything, including a torch !
Someone apparently used a powerline turnbuckle and welded a repair heim joint on the end, for the right side.
It works, but stinks for trying to adjust !
According to the measurement I am able to find online, since there aren't alot of Fordson's around here, the minimum lenth is about 22" and max is 26".
A ford 5000 is about 25" min and 31" max, I think.
I wasn't sure if there were any alternatives to original Fordson or maybe a setup for say a Massey Fwrguson 165, that would retrofit onto this tractor, or any aftermarket stuff.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

I was going to suggest 4000 parts, but thought I’d better check first. Unfortunately, mine measures 28/33”, much too long.
Cross that off your list of possibles.

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Thank you for taking the time to verify the measurements.
No more guessing about a 4000 working adapting onto my tractor !
I may have found a suitable replacement screw box.
Part # 897649m95 leveling box. They cost about 80$ on ebay, and made for a MF 265.
Massey Ferguson 265 is a cat 2 set up, like a power major.
All the measurements are almost the exact same as a super major ( atleast what i have found online ). The only one that is different is the pin diameter in the yoke, where the screw box attaches at the top. Massey Ferguson uses a larger pin, but a cat 1 to cat 0 adapter bushing, cut to fit the width of the yoke, should bring the pin diameter to exactly 5/8, which is what is in my tractor now.
I think i am going to give it a shot in a few weeks. I have spent quite a bit recently trying to get the hydraulics working, and all the cat 1 and cat 2 pins replaces and new top link....etc.
Man, the little things add up quick !