stuck in gear

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: stuck in gear

Post by JC »

Kerry, I live about 30 miles north of the intersection of I-5 and US 97. I'm about 7 miles east of I-5. I'm almost embarrassed to post pictures of my Super, after seeing yours! Mine isn't a bad looking tractor, but its not restored. I hope to be able to post some pictures of it discing some fire breaks this weekend, if I get all of my new parts installed.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I share your embarrassment, JC!
Best, Adrian.

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Hi Adrian, I am in central Oregon where they grow lots of Timothy Hay. We are just about 15 miles from the cascade mountains eastern slop. The Cascades are more of a random separated string of old volcanic peaks than a mountain chain like the Rockies or the Sierra's. They start in Northern California Lassen Peak and continue through Oregon and then Washington state. Our soil (volcanic) is good for some crops I guess, I understand in the old days they grew lots of potatoes. If you look up Bend Oregon on Google you will get the picture of the landscape.
I am headed to Southern California in about 14 days to house sit for old customers of mine until mid June, I most likely wont get back to the tractor until after that, its burning season right now and I have a ton of work and spring clean up to get done. Ill check in to see some of you guys pictures of your machines or where to view them on this site if you have already posted them. Let me know.
P S I was watching some minor flick thriller on Netflix a coupe months ago, the scene was a farm, a guy was trying to find a woman to do her harm, she saw him coming and ducked down behind an old Fordson. All I could hope for after that was more shots of the tractor but it was just a short cameo role for the fordson, I can say in my book the Fordson out acted the actors by miles. Cheers Kerry

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

J C thanks for posting, it looks awesome to me, its a fordson! and its doing work which is what they were meant to do, If I knew what I knew now, I would have just fixed my tractors engine problems, cleaned it up and used it which is why I really bought it. I wanted to install a Bobcat sized backhoe and for winter a back blade so I could actually use it. Instead I spent and embarrassing amount of hard earned money I will never recover for a shiny tractor. But first things first, like Adrian said it will need to get a few Shawartzeneggar size work outs. Cannot wait until it pops its first power stroke. Im suspect about the lifting arms and if they will work properly, I remember removing a valve in the control section and when re installing I think I cracked it. But there is so much knowledge and help from good people on this site that can tell me exactly what is going on, I am not too worried when I come to that point.
J C, I would love to sometime come by meet you and see your rig. maybe we can work that out. There are so few Fordsons around, a gentleman had one not too far away but was selling it. I went to see it. Incredibly his paint colors were similar to mine, his was a 1960 or 61 . He said the miles per gallon were incredibly good. He just didn't have use for it anymore. I bought a front light and some other part off him. Anyway Cheers

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

I bought a 62 super major from a friend that used it on a hunting lease. He said it was a ford 5000, which it does have a sticker on the hood that says ford 5000, but it is not a new performance tractor. I paid 500$ for it
I have worked on the hydraulics, put a new rear turf tread tire ( 18.4-26 ) odd size for this area. Originally I am from Florida, and they are widely used in the orange groves, because of the sand. Bar tread tires are useless in sugar sand. I have also cleaned oil covered brakes, repaired broken shifter, rewired tractor, and I am sure I am forgetting several things that I had to make work again after sitting in a field for 10 years. Mind you, these guys would crank it, use it all weekend, go home, and not touch it for another few months at a time. It was rough.
It is a working machine right now, but every time I use it, I find something I want to repair ! I am always looking for parts !

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Awesome Livewire, you got a deal on a running tractor and have been able to keep it running. I might have some hydraulics questions for you in the future. Yes getting certain parts is hard. I looked for a long time for the exhaust valve rotators and finally found some leftovers at a New Holland dealer. Same with new clutch springs, I called a company that rebuilt clutch plates and asked if they happened to have springs for my clutch and they did and just enough. Question if anyone knows: How many years besides my '64 did imported Majors to the states get called a Ford 5000? Mine was originally painted white nose, hood and fenders, blue for the rest. Did not have the side badges but did have the front badge and then just a decal on both sides of the hood. I really got lucky, when I saw the tractor for sale on the internet I just liked how it looked and that it was a diesel and a Ford. Only body damage was a good nose crunch the size of a hand, and the fenders had non original metal bracing welded in spots for support, old bracing fairly rusted but sheet metal otherwise still good. Ill never forget trying to unscrew those fender bolts, wow were they stuck. I never could get the lift arms off either. I'm convinced the brakes are causing the lock up situation so will try to adjust them in the next couple days. Happy tractoring everyone and thanks for your input on this forum! cheers Kerry