Interesting Light Bulbs

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Interesting Light Bulbs

Post by JC »

I took the dash off of my Super Major to change some gauges and do some other work to it, and I found this light bulb.
I didn't realize that they made their own bulbs.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Interesting Light Bulbs

Post by oehrick »

I recently had a problem with twin filament headlamp bulbs JC, trying to cross reference as the handbook 'helpfully' said to only use Ford bulbs !

Fortunately found some NOS Lucas at a sensible price :)

Also found some aerosol 'chrome' paint which has made a nice job of reviving the reflectors, which to my surprise originally had some sort of plastic 'silver' film sprayed or dipped on rather than the expected chrome plating.

In the end all but two of my bulbs, apparently originals from the ENFO mark, had working filaments, I was quite surprised given the amount of vibration, and particularly shocks from the tractor being driven at speed until pulled up by the chain or wire hawser hitched to a tree or stump, something it has done consistently throughout its life with us.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

JC

Post by JC »

It's amazing that your bulbs still work after all these years. Only one of my instrument panel lights work. I don't know about the headlights yet. They aren't on the tractor at the moment, because I have FMD grilles in it, until I get grilles with the light holes in them. The nice thing is that no one has hacked up the wiring harness. It seems to be complete and original.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Maybe there was something to their claims of superiority of the EnFo Ford bulbs after all - although it is quite probable they were made by someone like Lucas and 'badged' for Ford, as they subcontracted lots of work out to outfit's like J J Wright, who Brian worked for.

I found some of the wire insulation had got a little crisp, like the dynamo wires at the two 90 degree bends round the front of the block under the fan, I warmed them up a bit with the hot air gun when I needed to move them, likewise into the control box as I had to strip & clean the light switch and rebuild the regulator, so far none of the smoke has escaped has escaped from the electrics ;)
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

JC

Post by JC »

I'll bet the the bulbs were made by Lucas, too. They are tough, for sure. I'm glad no smoke has escaped from your electrical system. If it does, someone was selling bottles of factory Lucas smoke on eBay!