moly-paste transmission additive

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
SvendH
True Blue

moly-paste transmission additive

Post by SvendH »

Hello!
is it safe in a major? I have put some in my supers gearbox and it seems to increase leaks :x

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: moly-paste transmission additive

Post by oehrick »

Making oil slipperier than a very slippery thing means it can slip past the seals.....................................
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Start worrying when it stops leaking. ;)
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear SvendH

Probably a stupid question, but what were you hoping to achieve by adding moly paste additive to your Major's transmission? The transmission is quite noisy anyway and I doubt that such an additive would make any difference to that. If really noisy, particularly in top gear, the culprit is usually the upper main shaft bearing at the rear. It ends up losing its rollers which can drop into meshing gears and jam, or cause chipping damage to teeth. The bearing will carry on working in this state until enough rollers drop out and then the serious stuff starts to happen.

Best thing is to remove the selector fork plate on the left hand side (remove clutch operating rods and drain some transmission oil to get it off) and inspect for damage. It is easy to see that bearing at the rear through the aperture. Whilst you are at it, drain the transmission, clean it out and replace with just plain simple SAE 90 Gear oil as recommended in the repair manual, capacity 4.5 imperial gallons.

Timee

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Put SAE 30 in the transmission, not 90. It’s also the reservoir for the hydraulic system.

Technically, the rear axle is the hydraulic reservoir, not the transmission, but the oil usually gets mixed and Fordson recommends the same oil in both.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

hello all :D
appreciate your troubling to replys! I am primerley trying to reduce noise from the gearbox,when idling it makes a clattering tapping sound.When driving/working it the sound is ok mostly.
I dont put any in the rear axel as this is a separat system,I belive the oil in both is 15/40.As long as it just leaks I will use as is until I get the time to change it and maybe the seals as well.IT hasent helped the noise.
IF it stops leaking entirely something is SERiOUSLY WRONG
TIM I plan to do an inspection as you suggest,and thinking if its possible to inspect from the opposite side through the round hole where i think a pulley sits (if fitted) or is the veiw there restricted perhaps?
On some forums people can be lynched for bringing up lubrication,lucky for me you guys are more tolerant !

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Sven,
The pulley side won't let you see the upper bearings.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Thanks Mathias