62 super major pto clutch messed up

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Livewire84
True Blue

62 super major pto clutch messed up

Post by Livewire84 »

My 62 super major will crank, idle and allow me to slip the pto right into gear, with very minimal, if any grinding, if I do not have anything connected to the pto output shaft.
This tractor did sit in a field, uncovered, for about 8 years prior to me buying it. I have changed all the fluids, but had to free up the brakes from water finding its way in them over time, as soon as i got it.
The clutch is adjusted with about 1 1/2 inches of free play at the pedal, and shifts correctly. It starts and stops like it is supposed to, and the drive clutch doesn't slip under a heavy load at all, that I have noticed.
The hydraulics work as they should, and I have mainly used it for ground work equipment until recently.
I connected it to a 6ft finish/grooming mower and I absolutely could not get the pto to engage with the pedal all the way to the floor, even though I tried waiting a good 2 minutes once. The only way I can get it to engage is, as I am cranking the engine, I engage the pto as the engine is about half way running .. lol
I have read that trying to connect to a rotary type mower and lifting it up as high as it will go, and then get into some heavy grass, and drop the mower while the clutch is pressed all the way to the floor, may free up a stuck pto clutch.
Is this a good idea to try, or am I about to tear something up by doing this. It sure does get old that every time I turn the pto off, I have to turn the tractor off and re start it and hopefully engage the pto at just the right rpm as the motor is trying to come up to idle speed. It is becoming a major annoyance, because I cannot lift the mower, every time I disengage the pto, and have to turn the tractor off and recrank it, to allow me to re engage the pto. I am really not in a position right now to replace the clutch, because it is soo dang hot here, where we live. I will wait for fall to tear into that big of a job, if I can make it till then.
Any ideas, opinions, or magic tricks that yall have tried and worked ?... lol
Thanks, Brent.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: 62 super major pto clutch messed up

Post by mathias1 »

Its a live drive? Probably stuck or worn pto plate. I think you can try the long grass trick
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

High is up, and low is down, so I am guessing that would give me better odds of having a "live gear" style setup, or dual stage clutch, vs a single stage clutch.
I am hoping it could be stuck. Most of this tractor seems to be built like a tank, and it is fairly simple, but I wasn't sure about the clutch. After I can get the brush mower connected, I will post back, whether it worked or not.
Thanks for the advice.

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Well my dang pto pump decided to give out on me before I could get to try my idea to unstick the pto clutch.. lol
I replaced the hydraulic pump orings once before, so I guess i will dive into it, and see what happened.
I need to get this thing going as soon as possible.
Someone mentioned on a previous post, when i mentioned putting new orings in a old pump, about shimming the pump.
I started a new topic, as I am a bit lost as to what they meant.
As soon as I get the hydraulics straight again, I will post a reply about whether the idea of tall grass worked.
I know for sure that pressing the clutch all the way down, while the mower was running, didn't make any changed at all.
It stayed spinning at 1100rpm. I didn't try to drop it, in tall grass with the pro disengaged though.
I was trying to get as much mowing done as I could, before I tried to unstick the pto clutch, but instead, the lift arms won't lift the mower now !!!!
Always something !!!!