FSM ENGINE PROBLEM

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
kissamo
Not Quite Blue Yet

FSM ENGINE PROBLEM

Post by kissamo »

TO ALL FORDSON ENTHUSIASTS;

I am completely surprised. it is like this i overhauled my FSM by fixing the liners, piston and rings. i did not touch the cylinder head as it looked fine to me. but after firing it up i worked with it for just not less than a month. just last week when i switch it up i noted that the oil is coming out of the exhaust manifold. any idea of the possible cause of the prboblem.

cheers

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: FSM ENGINE PROBLEM

Post by oehrick »

Have you checked the rocker box breather pipe back to the air intake filter is free and working ? often overlooked cause of excess oil in exhaust and can result in oil or slime escaping through the block breather. Failing that maybe it's a valve stem sealing problem.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

kissamo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kissamo »

Hi Rick;

THANKS for your valuable reply. i will follow what to commented and give a feedback.

Cheers

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear Kissamo
You say you "fixed" pistons, liners and rings. I presume you meant that you have renewed those items. You also say you have used it for less than a month. You do not say how you have used the tractor in the month since. If you have not "run-in" what is effectively a new engine by giving it some really hard work, then it will throw out black oil through the exhaust at intervals. It needs a few days of really hard work (ploughing) or better still, put it on a dynamometer and give it a couple of hours at maximum power.

I had a similar problem with my Super Major after rebuilding the engine last year. It had some work, but not hard enough. I put it on a dynomometer at a local agricultural agents earlier this year. It started off at 41HP at 1800rpm and at the end of 2 hours, it was producing 45.9 HP at 1800rpm at the PTO. (Given transmission losses, this equates to the specified 52hp) The engine has been brilliant since, no oil out of the exhaust, although the silencer looks like it has been in a furnace!

So your "rebuilt" engine needs some brutal work to burn the paint off the silencer to effectively run it in.

Timeee

kissamo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kissamo »

DEAR TIMEE;

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR GOOD COMMENTS. I HAVE ORDERED VALVE KIT AT AGRILLINE. I WILL PULL DOWN THE CYLINDER HEAD AND FIX THIS KIT THEN I WILL SUBJECT IT INTO A MAXIMUM HARDSHIP :D :D :D

CHEERS MY FRIEND

ELIAS KISAMO