Front axle bolts/sump pin removal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
hazzard
True Blue

Front axle bolts/sump pin removal

Post by hazzard »

Trying to get the A frame off my super major, axle bolts are murder tight and also sump pin. Anyone removed one and can give me some advice how to get the thing off?

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Front axle bolts/sump pin removal

Post by oehrick »

Plenty of heat on the threads, they seem to grow together, yet I have known some who had problems with the loosening, not my experience! and drill, tap and pull out with a slide hammer would be my approach on the pin.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

oehrick wrote:Plenty of heat on the threads, they seem to grow together, yet I have known some who had problems with the loosening, not my experience! and drill, tap and pull out with a slide hammer would be my approach on the pin.

Think I may resort to plenty of heat on axle, put the nuts back on and find a big hammer to start with. If that fails then might cut the head off the bolt and after heat find a suitable punch and knock the bolt out. Hope the sump pin will follow to allow the sump to be removed.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

The axle bolts will be hellishly tight in their bores. Heat is difficult to appy due to the thickness of the axle beams.
Unscew the nut a turn and a half and clout with a sledgehammer. You will get them out, but some of the nuts may not survive the procedure.
Best, Adrian.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Forgot to comment on the sump A frame pin.
It will be stepped through wear - not much, but enough to prevent simple extraction.
Didn't have the tools to cut it out, so I left my A frame attached to the sump. If you take this option, handle carefully due to the leverage of the A frame on the sump.
Few images, one of them of my Diesel Major when swapping from spade lugs to pneumatics after subsoiling.
Worked on a Volvo FM12 8 wheeler this week changing worn brake drums, shoes and adjusting gears. Reminded me of the Diesel Major.
Best, Adrian.

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

AdrianNPMajor wrote:The axle bolts will be hellishly tight in their bores. Heat is difficult to appy due to the thickness of the axle beams.
Unscew the nut a turn and a half and clout with a sledgehammer. You will get them out, but some of the nuts may not survive the procedure.
Best, Adrian.

Yes tight is the understatement ! As said I think I will have to cut the head off the bolt and knock it downhill with a drift after applying more heat.

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

To be honest I was wanting the sump off to replace the oil seals on the clutch end and to clean the oil strainer. My mechanic friend says leave the strainer alone (!), take the engine out, remove the flywheel, do the seals and put engine back in. Simples !! Have seen some scary pics of oil strainers so just wanted to check things out. Have a job to do carting grain off combine so will leave for a wet week after harvest! H

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

You could check to See if lube oil is rreaching the rockers when you start up again,if it does then the seive Should be ok.
But still if you want to do the oil seals then the sump must be off.