Super major new purchase

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Birsayjon
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super major new purchase

Post by Birsayjon »

Good day folks.

New to the major club. Just recently purchased a super major from a private collection. Hasn’t done any work in 30 years.
Lift arms leaver is seized. Anyone had this issue. I was thinking to take the wheel/mudguard off and try and remover the levee from the top of the hydraulic pump.

Does anyone refurbish the hydraulics? Or is there kits available? As the other function controls are rusted solid also.

Sorry to anyone not knowing more info as I am totally new to the major after growing up with dexta’s and Larger internationals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Location is north of Scotland.

SvendH
True Blue

Re: Super major new purchase

Post by SvendH »

Hi there,
Congrats with the "new" familie member and wecome aboard!
I had the same problem with my super,turned out to be down to several controlarm links inside the lift-cover having seized solid with rust.So in my opinion it is off with the lift and get it upside-down on the workbench(2 man job) about 1hr or so then you will know what the trouble is.Be carful when handling the cover as it is quite heavy and the control links under it are easly damaged!
Apart from that it is fairly straitforward fix,replacement gaskets are available from Agriline-histoparts etc etc.
If I am mistaken one of the "grownups" on the board will no doubt chip in :D

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Super major new purchase

Post by mathias1 »

Hi,

welcome in the family.
Sven is right: best is to take the lift cover off. Be carefull not to damage the linkage and also take care on the spot on the front right where the tubes go in the cover.
While you're there I would suggest to replace all seals, they are easily available. And a new hydraulic oil filter can be fitted also.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch