Spitting back end from gearbox

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
hazzard
True Blue

Spitting back end from gearbox

Post by hazzard »

My super major has quite bad leaks coming from the shaft on which the clutch and brake pedals pivot. Is it a big job? I know seals and bushes are available but would appreciate some advice from someone who has done it, with decent instructions if possible please. :)

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Spitting back end from gearbox

Post by henk »

Hazzard,

No need to split. Just get the lift cover off and you will have acces to every thing. It's an easy job. Just remove the pins in the pedals move them away and the shaft comes out.
Good luck and shoot some pictures for us.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Hazzard,

if it's only leaking seals it's an easy job.
First make sure to lower the oil level in back transmission so it stays under the oil seals.
Then you remove brake pedals, springs and stuff where needed.
It's possible to renew the seals without removing the shaft. Put a wood screw into the seal and try to get it out. Use some grease to put the new ones in. Install them the right way: most new seals do have a visible spring on the inside, you want to put the spring on the oil-side.

To remove the axle you will have to remove the right rear wheel. The bushes on my super were fine, but the axle was badly worn. I got it repaired and installed new bushes in the pedals.
You will need a adjustable reamer when installing new bushes!

Splitting the tractor can help to remove the bushes. You will also be able to clean the front part of the back transmission. No need to take off the lift cover.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

mathias1 wrote:Hazzard,

if it's only leaking seals it's an easy job.
First make sure to lower the oil level in back transmission so it stays under the oil seals.
Then you remove brake pedals, springs and stuff where needed.
It's possible to renew the seals without removing the shaft. Put a wood screw into the seal and try to get it out. Use some grease to put the new ones in. Install them the right way: most new seals do have a visible spring on the inside, you want to put the spring on the oil-side.

To remove the axle you will have to remove the right rear wheel. The bushes on my super were fine, but the axle was badly worn. I got it repaired and installed new bushes in the pedals.
You will need a adjustable reamer when installing new bushes!

Splitting the tractor can help to remove the bushes. You will also be able to clean the front part of the back transmission. No need to take off the lift cover.

Hi Mathias1, I assume that the clutch pedal is removed just like the brake pedals and replace oil seal the same too? Re removing the axle I don't think I will have to do that just to replace the pedal shaft seals will I ? I think the rear axle seals have been done anyway. Presumably there are bushes on the brake/clutch shaft also that will need replacing (lot of free play in the pedals) other than the above all seems ok after a bit of hard work carting grain! Thanks.

henk

Post by henk »

This is the brake pedal side.

Matthias is right, there's no need to remove the cover, I only thought it was difficult for you to remove the bushes from the outside.
I did the job from outside some 14 years ago. Even got the bushes out and made new ones on a lathe.
Still working good no leaks.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

hazzard wrote:

Hi Mathias1, I assume that the clutch pedal is removed just like the brake pedals and replace oil seal the same too? Re removing the axle I don't think I will have to do that just to replace the pedal shaft seals will I ? I think the rear axle seals have been done anyway. Presumably there are bushes on the brake/clutch shaft also that will need replacing (lot of free play in the pedals) other than the above all seems ok after a bit of hard work carting grain! Thanks.
Yes, clutch pedal is same sort of business as the removal of the brake pedals. Same seal also. The bushes on the pedals are mostly the problem, as they don't get greased that offen. The ones in the transmission house normally do get enough lubrication.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch