Looking For Bracket to connect Front Cowl To Rad

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Big Jim
Not Quite Blue Yet
Location: Ft McMurray Alberta Canada (work) Cherryville, British C0lumbia Canada (home)

Looking For Bracket to connect Front Cowl To Rad

Post by Big Jim »

Good Day Fordson people. Ran into a bit of a dead end in search for a bracket for the right side of my cowl to rad. Searched as many dealers as I could (new piece) but so far out of luck. My machine is a 64 Super Major NP c/w FEL and backhoe. No PTO or 3 point hitch assembly. Can anyone point me in the direction of a dealer? Big problem is I'm located in western Canada ( well not really a problem, just no local places to check) Thanks all. Big Jim
1964 Super Major 5000 with FEL and Backhoe. Unfortunately no PTO or Three Point Hitch

Big Jim
Not Quite Blue Yet
Location: Ft McMurray Alberta Canada (work) Cherryville, British C0lumbia Canada (home)

Re: Looking For Bracket to connect Front Cowl To Rad

Post by Big Jim »

Sorry forgot I had half that info in my sig line :oops:
1964 Super Major 5000 with FEL and Backhoe. Unfortunately no PTO or Three Point Hitch

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Not sure what you are after here Big Jim.
There is a radiator bracing rod which is a "D" shaped rod that goes from the thermostat housing to both sides of the radiator through the fan shroud and onto the side of the radiator using a couple of the No 10-32 x 3/8 in bolts that hold the fan shroud onto the back of the radiator. This supports the top part of the radiator in relation to the engine block/thermostat housing.

The only bracket between the front cowl (nose cone) and the radiator is the neck (radiator filler) and bracket assembly (Part No E23-MB-9). It bolts to the cowl at the top where the front bonnet hinge is secured by a couple of 1/4 in x 1/2" long pan head screws. Without it, you have nowhere to screw your radiator cap and to secure your filler hose. Best bet is to try some vintage tractor breakers. The bracket can end up either on the cowl (rusted out) or the radiator (scrapped for the metal core).

Big Jim
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Big Jim »

Sorry for poor description.Its a L shaped bracket that is threaded on one end and is bolted right by the hood/bonnet latch catch on the front nose piece. It is then inline with the mounting hole on the side of the rad. Looks like a piece of 5/16 or 1/4 inch round stock threaded on one end and curled on the other to take a bolt through it. I have one but will not be back where Annabelle is until middle of Nov. If no luck by then will take a pic and post it here or fabricate one up. Kinda like to keep it stock if parts are still out there. Yes on the wrecker (breaker) idea. Unfortunately the place in Manitoba got a boatload or 4 of snow so power is out, state of emergency is declared. So my problem is insignificant to them at the moment :lol:
Thanks for the reply. Jim

Big Jim
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Big Jim »

if image transfer turns out its just to top left of the power steering reservoir/pump
Don't freak out on the condition of the tractor. This is how I received it after 10 years of sitting and the sellers attempt to keep coolant in the top hose. :lol:

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

OK Big Jim

Looks like that part is not a stock part, or else is a North American special for the Super Major 5000.
My suggestion was going to be Used Tractor Parts RR#2, Grandview Manitoba ROL 0Y0 Tel 204-546-3103. I have a friend who goes out to Canada most years and has used Bob's Tractor Parts to keep old Majors going. But it sounds as though they have had a fair dump of snow and as you say, are probably not even able to find the yard, let alone a tractor in the line up!!

Perhaps worth getting 2 "proper" hoses, rather than the concertina job and the tape patched one. The proper hoses may add some stability to the top of your radiator and not need the bracket you are after.

Timeee

Big Jim
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Big Jim »

That picture was taken on initial delivery of Annabelle. Previous owner named her so I'm just going to keep calling it that. All new hoses, rad cleaned and pressure tested.Come spring it all comes apart again as I have to drill and remove a bunch of broken bolts and retap the holes. It spent the summer in front of my work shop and now that the seasons are changing its out of the driveway and back to the bottom 40. Need the driveway clear for easy snow removal.

I know the place you described in Manitoba. Bought my injection pump from him as the one on the tractor was rusted in place (internally). Thanks for the info and tips, enjoy the fall season.