Fordson Major identification

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Sjors
True Blue

Fordson Major identification

Post by Sjors »

Hello,

I recently purchased a Major and have difficulties in identifying the tractor.

Casting codes:
left side clutch housing: 3G24 (this would be July 24, '63, so seems a new performance as they started to built them in June '63)
front casting: P21H (this is the older code system: december 12, '62)
lift cover is the type without drop control: N5H, novemer 5, '62
left rear axle: N5H, so november 5, 1962
right rear axle: M16H, so oktober 16, 1962
The serial number of the roadless front axle is 2207.
As the engine is a 590E, the date of the engine would be less significant but en engine is from March '64.
Is has an instruction plate on the firewall. I read this plate is not mounted after '58, is this correct?

Normally cast iron has to rest for a while on the shelf to release stress, (for example a had a '52 Allis Chalmers with cast parts from '49) or gets a heat treatment to release tress.
As the rear end, lift cover and front casting is all late '62 and the lift cover is the one without drop control, I would define the tractor as a Super Major, not a New Performance.
Would it be possible that July '63 (clutch housing) is still a normal Super Major? According to my books after June is New Performance.
What is your view on this?

Regards,
Sjors

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Fordson Major identification

Post by mathias1 »

Hi,

I would say you have a 62 super major, but it's possible it once got a replacement gearbox from a new performance.
How are the gears, is it any different to the standard super major?
Is it a live drive?

greetings
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Sjors
True Blue

Post by Sjors »

Hello Mathias,
the tractor has live drive pto.
As the castings '62 differ from oktober to december, it could alse be an early '63.
I think there are no further clues which reveal the assembly date since the original engine is gone?
As soon as the Allis Chalmers is out of the shop I'll start split up the tractor to repair the creeper box.
The lift has some issues too.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Sjors wrote:Hello Mathias,
the tractor has live drive pto.
As the castings '62 differ from oktober to december, it could alse be an early '63.
I think there are no further clues which reveal the assembly date since the original engine is gone?
As soon as the Allis Chalmers is out of the shop I'll start split up the tractor to repair the creeper box.
The lift has some issues too.
Sjors,

Since you have a Roadless tractor, you can contact the company of John Bownes (see roadless.co.uk)
They have all the information on the serial numbers. Maybe they can tell the original serial number of the engine and then we can work from there.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch