Front Spindle Repair - Tips?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Wachobc
Not Quite Blue Yet

Front Spindle Repair - Tips?

Post by Wachobc »

Hello,

So, I made some grizzly discoveries in the last few days on my Super Major.

The front right side wheel 'cap' came off .. somewhere, sometime.. so I have to get a replacement. I was looking at the bearings when I discovered the missing cap and I realized that things appeared a bit loose.. so, jacked her up and pulled some things apart.. well, the bearings fell apart when I removed the hub. The cups are scored badly. The back bearing has been rubbing on the spindle enough that it has a 1/16" deep groove cut into the inner race that obliterated the part numbers.. So, I'm ordering a whole new set of bearings for both sides.

While cleaning things up and checking things out, I think I'm to the point where I will have to replace the spindles. The inner bearing races easily rock back and forth on the spindle after being cleaned up.

With that, I'm looking at getting new bearings for the top side of the spindle (some call it a king pin?). I read through the manual, and there is some special tool required to fit the new bearings into the axle. The photos in my book are not all that clear. I'm wondering if anyone out there has suggestions on how to do this job without the special (probably no longer available) tool. It also appears the be something that needs to be reamed after the bushings are installed. Anyone know what size reamer?

The end of the [EDIT] spindle connecting rod end [EDIT] is also worn, and I figure that I'm replacing that bushing and pin as well while I have everything apart. Is this another case of having yet another special tool?

Are there other items that I should 'just do' while I have things this far apart?

I have to say that most of the work that I've done on the Super has reinforced that these tractors were designed to be worked on, by 'common folk', unlike most autos these days. I've been appreciating not having to have any special tools to work on my Super.

I'm ordering parts from the UK since the bearings and whatnot do not seem to be available through any US state-side New Holland dealer. If I need to order other parts while I'm paying the shipping from over the pond, I'd like to do that once.

Thank you in advance for your time,
1961 Fordson Super Major

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Front Spindle Repair - Tips?

Post by mathias1 »

Hi,

I did put the bushes a night in the freezer. much easier to install. Try making a sort of puller, so you can pull them in the axle.
To remove the old bushes: I uses a welder to weld around the inside of the bush. The weld will cool down and shrink the bush a little bit.that will make it easier for you to get them out.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Wachobc
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wachobc »

Mathias,

I'm including an image (I hope it works, never posted an image before), just to be sure that we're referring to the same parts. I know there are different terms used for the same part depending on where you are in the world.

[EDIT] The image thing does not appear to be working so here's a link that I hope will work

https://partstore.agriculture.newhollan ... 51ar258442 [EDIT]

I'm replacing #4. So, it seems like the logical thing to do is to replace 6, 7, 13 and 14. The other parts that are well worn are 28 and 29, and replacement of those parts seems to be more straightforward.

So, in my manual, for items 7 and 14, they are showing a removal tool.. so I figured that these either needed to be driven or pressed out. I presume that's what you meant by using a puller.

There is also instruction in the manual, after the new parts are installed, in running a tool through them. In my manual it is p.171 (Figures 209 and 210) and it refers to a ball-nosed portion of a tool referred to as No. Tr2/MD 3109. It reads like these bushings are placed in the axle then expanded? Additionally, it also reads like these bushings are to have a ream run through them. Obviously, the specifications of the 'special tool' are not listed, so I don't have a clue as to what size the reamer had to be, etc..

Did I misunderstand the instructions in the manual? Did I misunderstand your explanation?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I want to make sure I understand what tools I'll need before jumping in.

Thanks for the reply,
1961 Fordson Super Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

You need something like this to get it out and in.

This is something simelar

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

henk

Post by henk »

The reamer has to be adjusteble and if it is possible supportes by bushes.

https://www.bmtechniek.nl/hss-verstelba ... -geleiding
Kind regards, Henk

Wachobc
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wachobc »

Henk,

Thanks. This is very helpful.

So the reamer is sized to match the size of the spindle plus a few thousandths? Is there a clearance spec for the bushing / spindle diameters?

The cost of purchasing a reamer just for this task, I think I'm going to take the axles, bearings and spindles to a machine shop and pay them to get things right..
1961 Fordson Super Major

henk

Post by henk »

De diameter of the spindel must be in range of the reamer. The bushes must be placed in part number 3 and than reamed untill the king pin goes and turns smootly in the bushes. Clean it every time and use a bit of oil when trying.
Try to use or rent a reamer from a local machine shop or dealer. Buying is a costfull thing.
When you take it to a machine shop, part 3 has to go along with the bushes an king pins.
Keep us posted.
Kind regards, Henk