FSM: Front Spindle Bearing Fit

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Wachobc
Not Quite Blue Yet

FSM: Front Spindle Bearing Fit

Post by Wachobc »

Hello,

As I mentioned in a previous post, I found that I had lost the 'hat' hub cover and when I went to inspect the bearings I ran into some rather sad news. The bearings fell apart and the cups are badly scored. The spindle was worn such that the inner races of the bearings wobbled back and forth on the shaft a considerable amount. The grease that came out was loaded with ground steel.

So, I ordered parts from Agriline since neither the bearings or the spindles are available here in the USA.

The parts arrived and I decided to do some test fitting before I tore more of the front end of the tractor apart..

Well, the new bearings will not fit onto the new spindle (both inner and outer have the same problem). Measurements with a caliper confirm that the bearing ID is smaller than the spindle OD. In one case (outer) the dimensions are close enough that it _could_ be a press fit..

Anyhow, I'm here to get some information that I can't seem to find in the service manual.

Should the bearings slip onto the spindle or be pressed on? My experience with other (non agricultural) wheel bearings is that everything slips together snugly, but not as a press fit. The cups press into the hub, of course.

A related question is, are there different sized spindles for the Fordson Super Major that would vary by only a handful of thousandths? Maybe I accidentally ordered or was shipped another version of the spindle?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Best,
1961 Fordson Super Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: FSM: Front Spindle Bearing Fit

Post by henk »

Wachobc wrote: A related question is, are there different sized spindles for the Fordson Super Major that would vary by only a handful of thousandths? Maybe I accidentally ordered or was shipped another version of the spindle?
There where no different spindles for the Fordson as far as I know. I think some of the the Ebro models had otherones that where 10 mm longer.
I geus different manufacters give difference in tolerances. :cry:
Remember the quote: a lot of parts are made in the land of nearly right. :curse:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Timeee
True Blue

Re: FSM: Front Spindle Bearing Fit

Post by Timeee »

Dear Wachobc

The bearings should just slide onto the spindle, unless your spindles have been chewed up by a previously failed/seized bearing. Normally they clean up easily. . Fit the wheel with the inner bearing and felt seal already assembled into the hub, a slide fit. Then fit the outer bearing race, slide fit, followed by the adjusting nut and tighten and then adjust to allow the wheel to rotate freely with no end-play, secure the adjusting nut.

The outer races as you say should be a press fit, or knock them in using a suitable (brass so as not to damage 'em) drift. My suspicion is that the Agriline bearings are out of tolerance, although they will say they have sold 100s of them with no complaints. I always prefer a quality company called Emmark, based between Leeds and Bradford here in UK. Their Part No for a front wheel bearing kit for a Major is EM6904.

Good luck

Tim E