Testing solenoid

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Gman
True Blue

Testing solenoid

Post by Gman »

Hello to everyone. I have not posted in a while. I have a 59 PM and cannot find my previous post regarding how to run the wire to see if my solenoid is bad. I am thinking one wire from positive side of battery. It is not the original push button type. Thanks for any help and advice. Good luck on your projects.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Testing solenoid

Post by Billy26F5 »

I don't know what solenoid you mean, but I wonder if it's an insulated return type. If not then connect a negative wire to the small terminal not connected to anything (it should have a red wire coming from the starter switch). The connection of the negative wire should operate the solenoid, if it doesn't work look for a possible second wire for the coil for an insulated return, if that's not there the solenoid is failed, I recommend you get the correct Lucas 76411 solenoid. Just in case, the main battery terminal should have a smaller yellow wire going to terminal A and perhaps a yellow-red wire to the BATT terminal if your regulator is the later RB108, and the starter teminal should only have the starter wih nothing else.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Billy. Solenoid was an aftermarket one purchased from site recommended on here. I have a parts 58 Major, will try the one on it if I have no success. I have found my posts from 15 years ago with Bryan regarding a way to test solenoid. I would put up pic but seems it is difficult on here.
Thanks for your advice.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think it's easier now than it was back then, see this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024&p=53955#p53955
Sandy
ImageImageImage