LEAKING INJECTOR PUMP

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

LEAKING INJECTOR PUMP

Post by gordon5a »

HI STARTED DEXTA TODAY AND NOTICED DIESEL LEAKING FROM BOTTOM OF INJECTOR PUMP, THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED BEFORE, THE LIFT PUMP IS DRY AND DOES NOT SEEM TO BE COMING FROM ANY PIPES, I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY FUEL AT LEAK OFF PIPE, IS THIS THE EXCESS FUEL FINDING ITS WAY OUT? ANY HELP APPRECIATED THANKS.

ol'Blue
True Blue

Re: LEAKING INJECTOR PUMP

Post by ol'Blue »

The pump is supposed to be filled with oil. In my case the oil does get diluted with diesel after a bit from fuel slipping past the injector pistons. This over fills the pump, and will drip out the over flow tube. There is also a drain in the bottom of the pump that you use to drain the oil during maintenance. I drain and refill mine every oil change. its always thin when I do so....
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Hi Old Blue.
Thanks for the information. I'm still learning about my Dexta and it's good to hear from the more experienced members of the forum. When it warms up (-3f.) I will have to change the oil in my pump. Do we use the same oil as the engine?
Chris

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I think I'm right in saying it's only the mechanically governed fuel pumps, eg in Super Dexta, that are lubricated by oil. The pneumatically governed pumps in earlier Dextas are lubricated by the fuel itself.

Have a search on here for more info. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Maybe that's why I've never run across anything stating that I needed to change the oil on my Dexta. :scratchhead:
Chris

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

I have the original owners manual for mine and it describes the oil filled pump... but you are correct, mine is a mechanical goverened pump and is a super. I forgot about the other pumps.... :oops: :oops:
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue