Progress on the Super Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
EddieJ
True Blue

Progress on the Super Dexta

Post by EddieJ »

Dad and I are making good progress on the dexta now, we have finally fitted the fuel tank and got the control box fitted and all the wiring too. The cold winter has held us off spraying the 'blue' for months and as some parts needed painting before we could start assembling the contols and refitting the tank:

We checked the electrics yesterday and there is power where there should be, and she turned over sweet. Tomorrow we'll beed the fuel add some water (to the radiator :roll: ) and get her running - hopefully.

Its amazing how time files, we started the project 2 years ago now although not with the intention of doing the lot but just getting the hydraulics up and running again. Its been a year now since we last ran the engine.

We have a longway to go yet, the bonnet, footplates and wings need spraying and fitting but the worst is yet to come with the front cowl as its in a right state and will need hours of patching and filling.

Does anyone have anything to say good or bad about the reproduction steering wheels? Our original is tatty and the top coat is worn but the ones I saw for sale at Malvern Tractor World seem a bit poor quality with horrible square moulding marks on the underside of the rim? I have seen adverts in the tractor mags for companies that recondion steering wheels but I am concerned about the cost, again has anyone done this?

We have a spare new right hand rear lamp that if anyone is interested in I've listed on the 'Parts Swap' page.

Rich
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk

john.n
True Blue

Re: Progress on the Super Dexta

Post by john.n »

looks very smart!
I was thinking of replacing the steering wheel also but have decided not too after seeing the replacements. think i will use filler on the wheel and black paint, i have hears of people using boot polish insted of paint.

regards,
John

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

wow, thats looking really nice! ive just started restoring a dexta myself, the steering hasnt got much play in it, but the steering wheel wobbles quite alot, is there a bush that goes in the top of the tank?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Nick wrote:wow, thats looking really nice! ive just started restoring a dexta myself, the steering hasnt got much play in it, but the steering wheel wobbles quite alot, is there a bush that goes in the top of the tank?
Hi Nick, thanks for your comment. The fuel tank has a clearance hole running through it for the steering box to pass through so there is no bush or even any contact with the steering box. You can almost guarantee that the wobble is from wear in the top of the steering box shaft (no#2 on image). The top of the shaft runs on a ball bearing race (nos#25 & 26 on image), the shaft and balls are replaceable with a commonly availiable kit (e.g. from here) however you may only need to remove a shim or two (no#24 on image) to put more load on the ball bearings. see this image for details:

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Got her running yeaterday, there was a lot of smoke to start with but that cleared. Next time we'll remeber to check the inlet manifold tap is open otherwise she would have started quicker. It so some cranking to get the fuel from the pump to the injectors you can see this in the first part of the video I uploaded to you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxYNbKCauk0