Thinking of buying a dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dexydog64
Not Quite Blue Yet

Thinking of buying a dexta

Post by Dexydog64 »

Hi everybody. New to this forum, Thiking of buying a Fordson (Dexta or Major). Been looking at a 58 dexta diesel, not had a chance to hear it run (flat battery) but it looks in fair condition,not too much in the way of rust in the tin work, the seller has told me that lately he has had too use easy start to get her to go and thinks the heater plug may have failed.Any information on what to look out for would be well recieved, could the starting problem (easystart) be something more than a heater plug. Going to look at a Major (1950's) in about 3 weeks know it's a different forum but any information will be welcom.

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Re: Thinking of buying a dexta

Post by Wee59dexta »

Easystart should never be used on a tractor but hey, it does exactly what it says on the tin right?

Check the heater plug for yourself by screwing it out and earthing it. I'd definately want to hear it going before i'd buy mate! Even if that meant bringing a battery with you. A car battery will do the trick.

Dexydog64
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexydog64 »

Will be going back in a week or two to have another look, seller told me that he will have it started by then and i will be able to check it all out . Not a great fan of easy start myself, engines seem to get used to it and rely on it, would rather get to the cause of the problem and sort it.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Welcome to the board!
A Dexta is an excellent choice!
Have a search or here - there are quite a few threads on buying a dexta and probably more on easystart, whiff of death! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

I had to choose between a Major and Dexta in my search for a suitable tractor for our smallholding / light use sort of setup.
The Dexta weighs in at something like 1400kg and the Major something like conciderably more like 2400kg.
For the lightweight work we will be doing the major was just too big and heavy for us.
The Major does seem to be a bit financialy cheaper option and does have its good points too.

Rob

Dexydog64
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexydog64 »

Going to have a look at a major on Thursday 29th, Not sure of date of manufacture, is there anything that I should look out for that would be a cause of concern, seller say's the tractor is in working order and will be running he thinks it mat be a 1955/56 model. Tractor has not been used or moved for 12 months and may have siezed brakes and possibly a siezed clutch.Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Dexydog64 wrote:Going to have a look at a major on Thursday 29th, Not sure of date of manufacture, is there anything that I should look out for that would be a cause of concern, seller say's the tractor is in working order and will be running he thinks it mat be a 1955/56 model. Tractor has not been used or moved for 12 months and may have siezed brakes and possibly a siezed clutch.Any info on this would be great. Thanks.
There's alot of Major ASPs (bitzas) out there, so worth boning up on Major serial nos and casting codes etc, so if you do get an ASP it will have been your choice.

Take your time! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!