New Shredded fanbelt..

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

New Shredded fanbelt..

Post by MyDexta »

Shredded it in 10 seconds.

I got a Agribelt S.11174
It is 12.5x1142fb
UPC #023495111742
Is that the right one??? Got it from yesterdays tractors

I loosened the alt. (including MOUNTING bolts) and the belt seemed really hard to stretch over the last pulley... Now, I'm not a novice. Anyone know about Corvairs? You HAVE to know how to install fanbelts with those cars...
Anyway, so I tightened the alternator back up, using a crow bar to apply torque and started it up.... Burned right through it... Looked like a multi-headed black snake.

Soooo too tight... too loose?
Ofcourse, I had only ordered one belt..blast it.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: New Shredded fanbelt..

Post by Kiwi Kev »

I have a friend with a Corvair, although it is in a 000 bits, as it's supposedly being rebuilt.

I've not chewed out a fanbelt in 10 secs before, but have over a period of an hour, due to a rusty pulley. It only took 1 peice of scalely rust to chew the side of the belt out.

It may seem a silly comment, but are all your pulleys free and not seized.

Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi

[quote][It may seem a silly comment, but are all your pulleys free and not seized.
/quote]

+1
do the three pulleys look in line when u look 90' to the crank ?

did the old one work , or had it chewed that too ?
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

I also had a struggle to fit the belt over thepulley but once over it was ok, it needs to be fairly tight and not allowed to slip :lol:

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Thanks for the responses. The other broke... I did not pay attention to the damage. I assumed (ha) that it was just age... I was pulling a truck out of a mud bog and the I didn't even notice (was looking back at the truck) until the poor dexta started pinging and steaming...

I'll chk on the seizing. Am at work now. To put one on, surely there is no need to take the grill off, right? Just remembered... I've got a captive laborer at home..my son.. I'll call him and he can see if the alternator spins... because i know the fan one spins because i had to move it to get room to pry the belt..and surely the crank pulley moves when the motor runs...

I know this is painful, but let me go through how I put it on...just to see if I did it close to right..
I put the belt on the lowest pulley, then the alt... then pried it onto the top pulley.
I tightened the mounting bolts, the 5+ bolts holding the pivoting rod on the alternator... no clue as to proper torque value though...
I then used a smaller prybar on the alternator between the alt and the block to leverage it out to tighten the belt.
Should I be able to push down on the belt or should it be tight and unforgiving to a slight push with the index finger??

As far as the 90 deg look, that could be the problem because I did have to loosen the mounting bolts as well as the "adjustment slide bolt". The travel of the adjustment nut and alternator was obstructed by the alt hitting the block, so I was forced to loosen other nuts to get close to putting it on. And that just made me think the belt was the wrong size. I mean, the adjustment bracket should be enough I'd think.
I ordered 2 more identical belts.
With a Corvair, I'd tighten the belt just enough to barely move the alternator pulley with a finger. I assume this would be too loose for the tractor? Does this mean that the belt was too loose instead of too tight? I should have posted a pic of the remains of the belt. I may when I get home around 4pm Eastern US time..
This problem is important (atleast to me) because I'll be taking it to my other piece of land 300 miles away on Saturday and will not have access to major tools or internet to whimper about my continued woes.
Thanks for all the help....
I know... Newbie colonials....

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

sound like u did it right to me ...

have a gd look at alignment i guess , mine has a altinator so the mounts were adapted by previous owner , works fine though.

if over tight then puts stress on bearings ect. but i dont think it should distroy the belt first , so its all a bit odd .
lets see what happens
gd luck
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Looks like Kev got it right...

Son says distributor/generator pulley is seized.
Can someone tell me what to look for as far as a difference from gen to distributor? Looks like a distributor to me.
I'll be gone all week to the coast. Leaving late tonight. So please if any more ideas on freeing the pulley or any other tip... don't hesitate..let me know.
I guess I'll take my riding mower instead of the tractor to at least mow some of the Shark. Wonder if a Ford 2000 alt would work as replacement???

I was going to run it and rebuild the motor in the fall seeing how she's leaking oil like a sieve. (see other thread)

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

MyDexta wrote:Looks like Kev got it right...

Son says distributor/generator pulley is seized.
Can someone tell me what to look for as far as a difference from gen to distributor? Looks like a distributor to me.
I'll be gone all week to the coast. Leaving late tonight. So please if any more ideas on freeing the pulley or any other tip... don't hesitate..let me know.
I guess I'll take my riding mower instead of the tractor to at least mow some of the Shark. Wonder if a Ford 2000 alt would work as replacement???

I was going to run it and rebuild the motor in the fall seeing how she's leaking oil like a sieve. (see other thread)
A distributor would not be driven by a 'V' belt. Any belt slip would cause the distributor timing to go out. I expect it is a gererator you have siezed up there.
If you want the generator to work again I would take it off and pull it to bits and see if it is re-buildable. If you just get it freed off and then start the engine something might fall to peices inside the generator and permanently damage it.... although it might be already.
Rob

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Ooops, long day... with 5 more hours of driving with 3500 lbs of cargo...

I meant Alternator...

and what the flip was I thinking about when I typed "shark"... other than I just bought a boat for fishing... a premonition perhaps????

Rebuilding a generator is not on my Wifey's top 100 to do list...

I chk'd it when I got home and indeed it is seized like it was welded onto the gen.

So, I ask my friends here.... would a part off of a Ford 2000 or Ford8n 9n be suitable??? or do I have to order Dexta specific parts?

Welp... I'll look at this thread in a week.... I'm off to my version of heaven...12.25 acres with a 3 acre pond...

ohhh yeah baby

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

I have just re-wired my dexta.
As I replaced every wire I had the option to make a non original wiring loom to include things like indicators and work lights etc.
The power output of the old generator is only something like 11amps so 130ish watts. A couple of work lights and head lights and the generator might barely keep up. I thought about fitting an off the shelf car alternator instead but then I would want to make the tractor negative earth. Then I might need to sort out a different starter motor to suit the negative earth setup. If I had to buy an alternator, starter and other bits and pieces it was looking a bit expensive.... from my point of view where I am aiming to spend next to nothing.
I chose to keep the wiring as original and sometime in the future I will make up a big bracket off the roll hoop where a slave battery and a switch box and trailer socket will go. I figured the only time I want to use indicators etc will be on the road and when i am doing that I will most likely have a trailer or something on the back. The UK trailer light sockets seem fairly useless. Every time I come to use them they are all corroded so having a removable box would allow things to stay indoors out of the weather until needed. The tractor stays original and simple then.
Rob

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

60dexta wrote:I thought about fitting an off the shelf car alternator instead but then I would want to make the tractor negative earth. Then I might need to sort out a different starter motor to suit the negative earth setup.
Starter motor is not affected by the earth polarity, is it?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Bensdexta wrote:
60dexta wrote:I thought about fitting an off the shelf car alternator instead but then I would want to make the tractor negative earth. Then I might need to sort out a different starter motor to suit the negative earth setup.
I don't know.... I had a good think about it and thought that if the current in the armature is reversed so will the current in the field windings so maybe the magnetic polarity gets reversed but the motor still spins the same way. After thinking about it I decided to leave it positive earth as I have about a million things on the go and changing the tractor from positive earth to negative earth is about 900000th on my list of things to do :|
Rob

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Surely if you fit an alternator you have to convert to negative earth! But there is no need to alter the starter connections.

I found that after fitting an alternator the standard fan belt was too short and I had to fit A45 belt.

Gerald

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Soooo, a new rebuilt generator I guess is the solution?

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

MyDexta wrote:Soooo, a new rebuilt generator I guess is the solution?

Your choice, generator or alternator.....if you're concerned about keeping it original, go with a generator....around here at least, there are shops that can rebuild them, or new ones aren't too hard to find online.

if you want to fabricate the mounting brackets, and do a bit of re-wiring, you can add an alternator pretty cheap....delco 60 - 70 amp units can be had from all the parts chains for around $45... Did this to mine, took a belt about an inch longer than what was on it.... or I've seen places advertising the alternator,brackets, and a belt for a around $125...

Changing to neg earth not big deal....swap the battery cables and polarize the new generator (if used) correctly.....(new generators need to be polarized anyway,before you hook them up)......starter, lights, etc work fine with either setup.

been lots of posts on this before....use the search function......should find diagrams, pics, etc .....
Jack

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Bensdexta wrote:

No, there a series DC motor and to get them to reverse you need to swap the polarity of one of the winding sets (e.g. the field)......by converting to neg ground (as there is no 'earth' on a tractor :wink: ) your swapping both of the polarities so they continue to spin in the same direction.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!