My Rolling Restoration

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dexta Guy
Not Quite Blue Yet

My Rolling Restoration

Post by Dexta Guy »

Hi,

I just thought I'd post a thank you to everyone on here that has helped me out with my Dexta over the past 18 months. This forum is so useful!

In Jan 2011 I was looking for another tractor after I had finished the fergie off. Whilst in conversation with a farmer on a shoot one day he mentioned he had an old fordson at the back of his shed that he was planning to sell so I went for a look and the deal was done. The tractor (1960 Live Drive) had spent most of its life on a golf course according to him and he bought it 7 years ago to run the hay bob but he said it didn't pick it up high enough on the headlands and messed the rows up so it was parked up.

The first job was to get it running. It had a starter motor and one battery lead but that was about it in terms of electrics. I ordered a new loom + solenoid and got some leads from the scrappers. Eventually it fired up. New diaphagm, lift pump, Tacho, temp guage, oils and filters, and it was ready for its first run; a 60 mile round trip to see the bloke I bought it off (got there and he wasn't in!).

Anyway from there on I've used it for various jobs like topping, ploughing, saw bench etc and every time it earns me some money I spend some on it. Its not my plan to completely restore it but I'll improve it and keep it working.

So thanks again for all the advice!

Guy
1960 Fordson Dexta, 1953 Ferguson TEF 20.

john.n
True Blue

Re: My Rolling Restoration

Post by john.n »

looks like a nice original dexta. I like the idea of spending a bit on it every time it earns money.
Have you got a different set of rims with different tires on or just grass tires?
Regards,
John

Dexta Guy
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta Guy »

Thanks John.
Yes its on its 3rd set of rubbers since I got it. The first were 26" and 1 tyre was shot so I got a set of 28" on rims which were on their way out but lasted long enough. The latest are 12.4 28 grass tyres on some other rims. More useful for topping paddocks in this weather. I found the front 5.50 16 tyres on ebay, brand new with tubes, £50 the pair!

It looks more original than it is I think. It has been done up at some point because when I was drilling the wings to put the lights on it was full of filler. But everything is straight and probably salvagable.

PS. Just been out for an evening ride on it. The first dry evening for a long time.

Guy

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

Went Paddling then.
How deep is that river?

Dexta Guy
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta Guy »

Yeah great fun! Just up to the foot plates. Kept me socks dry!
Guy

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Dexta Guy wrote:Image
What mower is that?
How do you like it?
Looks like your resto is rolling well. :D
Last edited by Bensdexta on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

I know that they are only harrows but I always feel a bit shakey when I see anything attached above the rear axle line. Turn over backwards very easy.

Dexta Guy
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta Guy »

Bensdexta wrote:
What mower is that?
How do you like it?
Looks like your resto is rolling well. :D[/quote]

Cheers. Its a Massey Ferguson 732. Yeah it works very well, not as good as a disc mower but its very handy for knocking down thistles etc. Got to keep it sharp though.
Guy