My Dexta in Action

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

My Dexta in Action

Post by MyDexta »

Yep... took my Dexta down to my 12+ acre plot and started putting her to work.

Heres a sat elitte image of the acreage
It has a large rectanglular portion that is 9acres, a 1 acre plot and the 2.5 acre pond...

Here I am mowing, standing up so that I can see obstacles... It's not like my stomach gets in the way...shaaaaadddap

My son mowing around the fruit trees on the large plot.

The land has gotten wild and wooly in the past month. I could mow for a day or so and might get it under control.... But it being 5 hours away (300 miles), I can't take care of it like I want.... I'll have to think about that aspect too.

We'll plow (plough) the ground in the fall and plant more fruit trees. We have apples, peaches and pears right now. Hopefully, we'll add grapes and citrus next year.

Left the tractor down there to work the land.... will bring it back for the winter. Did I mention the bad storms??? In the 2 weeks we were down there, there were 12 inches of rain... on 3 days. 8 in this storm below.

ie
T-orn-Aaaado. That's from 5 miles away.

A couple of items to clean up.... the new generator never sparked wen I tried to polarize it. Seems to be working well though... although I have no accessories for it to power.. .I assume it also charges up the Batt?

The motor leaks oil like a sieve, but she worked for hours mowing and worked strong. I had bought a engine rebuild kit thinking I'd have to rebuild it right away, but she seems not to give a hoot as long as I keep oil in her. Mowed very fine tall grass and she bogged down a couple of times (had the bush hog set extremely low like a mower or a finish mower)... I will say the grass was 4 ft tall and as thick as carpet.

Overall, Id have to say I am thrilled with my Dexta after really working her this week.

marcusgs
True Blue

Re: My Dexta in Action

Post by marcusgs »

Hi.

Very tough engine the 3cyl in the Dexta.

I know of one with over 10,000 hours on the clock with nothing apart from oil changes being done!

It takes a bit of starting now, and like yours leaks a bit of oil, but still pulls strongly.
Mark

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks for the pictures. Fun to see what others are doing with their tractors. 300 miles is a long way to go to enjoy your tractor though :(
Chris

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Post by justjamiefarming »

Thanx for a great set of pictures.

We british like to moan about the weather but we dont have to suffer extremes like that! :shock:

That bush hog will certainly prevent the cylinders from glazing over. :)

Jamie.
It was like that when I found it.... & I wish I had left it alone!

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Yeah the weather can change on a moments notice.... but this is the pond during a evening sunset a couple of days after the storm..

Heres one of the ponds residents... a blue crab... named him Beauregard

I appreciate all the kind words and helpful advice.

I'm just a regular guy, fat, middle aged, and wanting to leave something more for my kids than just 'stuff'.
I took on this piece of land, bought it when the market crashed (put everything I had on it). I hope to make it earn its keep by farming a bit on it and thats where the Dexta came in.

I still need implements for it.... a post hole digger would be nice. A loader of some sort would be a god send. but I have a carry all, a box scrape, the B-hog and the coolest culivator ever... I'll have to take pix of it.

I can see that she has some shortcomings, especially w/o a loader.... but she does what I want when I want..atleast for now, and probably for a long time to come.

My son and I love the Dexta, we really enjoyed the work she helped us do. I was kind of getting depressed about the small troubles I was getting from her over the past few months. The Gen froze up and the oil leaks (btw... I forgot that and when I visited a friend while I was on the tractor, she peed on his drive.... we got to talking and I forgot all about it.... talk about making friends!)

She's worked hard in her life... she's got weird, modified wiring, unconnected wires, a rusted and barely hanging on left (toolbox) fender. Her brakes need work, and her clutches might be going... But, she starts right up, works, holds her hydraulic pressure and just goes about her tasks like shes suppossed to.

What more can I expect from her on her 50th birthday?

BTW, is there some inside joke about the word p-ro-perty and the software changing it to 'shark'?

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Looks like old Beauregard has had a hard life. If he looses another leg or two he is really going to be in rough shape. Blue crabs don't have claws?
Any Bass in the pond. Looks to me like that piece of ground could be turned into an ideal home place. Retirement home?
Great photos, thanks.
Chris

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Cvans wrote:Looks like old Beauregard has had a hard life. If he looses another leg or two he is really going to be in rough shape. Blue crabs don't have claws?
They can shed them (and legs) at will... Its one way they can escape... ofcourse they tend to hold onto food real tight so they can get caught in snares and on hooks... But yeah, he was non too happy that he was placed into a piece of tupperware.... Kidss tried to get him out with a pair of tongs but he was fassssst...
cvans wrote:Any Bass in the pond. Looks to me like that piece of ground could be turned into an ideal home place. Retirement home?
Great photos, thanks.
We have white perch,and Sea Mullet (JUMPING) right now... sent samples to the local Ag college NCSU and the agent said it was perfect for stripe Bass, and lg mouth. Hoping to stock it in the future, but we've had a few strangers come by and fish. Personally, I'd like to catch the fish I buy. Selfish maybe, but.....

Before the lg parcel was cleared (3 acres)
This had been vacant land for atleast 6 years and was farmed before that. It was to be split into 16 seperate lots for a high end development. That went under due to the bubble bursting.
a good idea of what it looked like after clearing... plus some geese
I plan on making it a hunter/fishing retreat.... I'm a 1/2 mile from great saltwater fishing, the area is known for its bear, deer and migrating fowl hunting.
I figure 3-6 one rm cabins to rent, plus a boat or 2, and the ability to hunt the land and use it also for fruit trees and some smaller veggie crops will help make it pay for itself... also working on bringing back seafood to help mitigate fuel cost....

I'm onto something, I just gotta figure out a plan and make it work. And building codes require 130 mph wind ratings.... and FEMA has to have a copy of the plan and a picture showing I am 1 ft above flood when I start building.... So there are obstacles. $$$ can make obstacles smaller, and thats where my problem lies. Luckily I own it outright and everything I am doing will be done the same way...so it may never get done.

It's called the Lazy R.

(and the prerequiste DEXTA content) And the Dexta will be key in making it all happen.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

If your close to the coast I hope you have some high ground to park the Dexta on.
The land is yours and you can dictate who can use it. If it were my pond I don't think I would want every Tom, Dick, and Harry using it. Liability if nothing else.
Is there a lot of sand in the soil? Do you have fluid in your tires?
Chris

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

great pictures / story
good luck with it all
i run a fishery, but different species on my side of the pond :beer:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Cvans wrote:If your close to the coast I hope you have some high ground to park the Dexta on.
Oddly enough, the whole area is about 2-3 ft above sea level. The area I have set up at right now was built maybe 2 ft higher. If you look at the satellite pic, you can see small dark streaks surrounding the PRO=PERT-Y (why is that word translated into SHARK??? I mean REALLY!).. those are drainage canals. The large streak across the bridge is called the "Rattlesnake Canal" another drainage canal. The DOT installed a large drainage pump to help move the water and drain the fields. (the Brits will like this... I got mah own MOATS!!!)
The land is yours and you can dictate who can use it. If it were my pond I don't think I would want every Tom, Dick, and Harry using it. Liability if nothing else.
I know... I've posted the "NO hunting, no breathing...no tresspassing... no looking" signs
It scares me to death to think some kid gets hurt or drowns while I'm 300 miles away.
Is there a lot of sand in the soil? Do you have fluid in your tires?
Some.... Mainly topsoil down to 3' then lots of sand. Yes fluid (according to previous owner) in tires.. .told me to chk pressure when the stems are @12 oclock. But what pressure?

Also, I noticed some huge cracks in my rear tires... and I believe its from the hog hitting the ag tread..I did notice the b-hog sways from side to side and the tires rub it when it does this..... I'll photo them and post later this week, hopefully.

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

tom lad wrote:great pictures / story
good luck with it all
i run a fishery, but different species on my side of the pond :beer:
Thanks Tom.

I just hope the story continues to evolve and we make it close to what we want.... Visiting in a camper is ok for now... but no running water, no electricity, no septic make for lots of compromises and few showers.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Without seeing the tires it is difficult to say about the cracks. Old age and sunlight will make the tires crack and eventually useless.
My brush hog used to sway quite a bit until I shortened the sway chains on the three point. Now it only moves back and forth maybe 6 inches at most. Your lower three point arms should extend well beyond your back tires. Makes me wonder about your mower hitting the tires.
Chris

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Cvans wrote:My brush hog used to sway quite a bit until I shortened the sway chains on the three point. Now it only moves back and forth maybe 6 inches at most.
No chains on mine
Your lower three point arms should extend well beyond your back tires. Makes me wonder about your mower hitting the tires.
I'll have a looksee when we go down on Thursday.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

deffo should have a check chain on the inside of each lower link arm .
goes from the middle pivot bolt to the bracket near the pto shaft , stops the link arms from fouling the tyres , but allows a bit of lateral play / travel left/ right .
the photo was of the outer stabalizer not the inner chain.
so its the chain i meen not the red stabalizer ( but the short stays are useful )
hope this helps ??

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Tom do you still need the chains when using those outer stabilizers? I've not seen those before.
Thanks for the photo!
Chris

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

i think the inner check chains should always be fitted , i think :roll:

then the short Stabiliser used only when u dont want a implement swinging to much left and right . i like my adjustable ones but i think the type with a bit of chain might be better as mine are quite rigid and un forgiving
for the money , from A........ there great . now i can put a 9 hole drawbar on for a trailer , far to much swing b4 .
tom
i dont know what was originaly supplyed ???

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks for the information. I know by shortening the chains on mine by one link I was able to stop most of the implement swing. My tractor was used in a cabinet shop for years moving sawdust so the 3 point doesn't appear to have had much use. It's making up for it now. :D
Chris

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Here are the pics of the tires that I promised...

BTW... thanks for posting those chain pics Tom Lad

I see that I have some chains.... Take 'em up a link or 2 or get longer arms?

Thanks for all the advise!

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

MyDexta wrote: Image

I see that I have some chains.... Take 'em up a link or 2 or get longer arms?

Thanks for all the advise!
My Dexta
Good to see that you have an over-run clutch fitted to your driveshaft.
I would sort out the chains before you do anymore damage to your tyres.
I would fit chains to the outside of your link arms. If you shorten the existing inner chains too much, you won't be able to get the arms wide enough to put onto the implement.
I use my inner chains to stop the arms hitting the tyres when I have no implement attached, and the outer chains to centralise the implement, or to reduce the free swing.
Might pay also to fit a washer to your top link, to stop the R clip from sliding through the implement slot.
Also watch that you dont tear the tractor end of your top link apart, as it looks as if there are not too many threads holding it in. I would take it totally apart, and then wind each end in equal number of turns.
I like your front bumper, and the fact that you have a number plate light still after all these years.
Kiwi Kev
Last edited by Kiwi Kev on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Because I could, and I hate spelling errors
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

Thanks Kiwi
I wonder... Is there some additive, or silicone that I can cover the cracks with to make sure they don't develop leaks? Or am I looking at replacing the tire in the future (not cheap!)?

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

MyDexta wrote:Thanks Kiwi
I wonder... Is there some additive, or silicone that I can cover the cracks with to make sure they don't develop leaks? Or am I looking at replacing the tire in the future (not cheap!)?

You are probably running tubes in your tyres anyway, so leaks from the inside shouldn't be a problem. Possibly more of a problem would be small sticks or stones entering the cracks and piercing the tyre and tubes.
If it was my tractor doing the work that you do with it, I would fix the chains to stop it happening anymore, I would use the tractor with the tyres as they are, and keep a lookout for another set of tyres. Another set of tyres can be either new or used.While the current tyres are still usable, you are in no desperate hurry, so you can look out for a set of new tyres at a good price. :clap:
You may chose to look out for a used set on tyres, or even lookout for another Dexta with good tyres. This could be a parts tractor, so dose'nt need to go, or even not a Dexta, but has the right size tyres. Keep the tyres, and dump the rest.
Nice block of land you have there.
The forum uses 'anti-social behavour software' which stops people writing things about blue pills, undressed girls and naughty things about children. Don't know why p.ro.pe.rty. is included in the banned words, but it is.
Kiwi Kev

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

glad the photo helped m8

what do u think is actualy shredding the tyre ? is it the link arm or part of the b/ hog , topper ?

i agree well worth trying to stop it happening any more if u can .

looks like u already have the tractor part of the stabiliser assembly fitted on the mudgard bolts , is there a stub pin bolted on the bracket under the back axle ,(on the 2 mudgard bolts ?)
thats were a outer chain / bar stabiliser would fit to.

also look like ur rear wheel track is set narrow so that might be putting the tyre closer to the arms in harms way ??
my right rear is set narrow for a ploughing job ( alter ring of bolts, 8 i think , between rear rim outer and inner dish ) that now catchs my link arm some times so i'll have to widen it by 2 " , then put it back if i ever use that plough again .
could u measure the rear tyre track width , measure from one tyre center to the other center ?
hope this makes sense tom

MyDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MyDexta »

tom lad wrote:glad the photo helped m8

what do u think is actualy shredding the tyre ? is it the link arm or part of the b/ hog , topper ?

i agree well worth trying to stop it happening any more if u can .

looks like u already have the tractor part of the stabiliser assembly fitted on the mudgard bolts , is there a stub pin bolted on the bracket under the back axle ,(on the 2 mudgard bolts ?)
thats were a outer chain / bar stabiliser would fit to.

also look like ur rear wheel track is set narrow so that might be putting the tyre closer to the arms in harms way ??
my right rear is set narrow for a ploughing job ( alter ring of bolts, 8 i think , between rear rim outer and inner dish ) that now catchs my link arm some times so i'll have to widen it by 2 " , then put it back if i ever use that plough again .
could u measure the rear tyre track width , measure from one tyre center to the other center ?
hope this makes sense tom
Thanks Tom... Maybe weeks b4 I can measure it. I left it at the Shark. I'll have to look at the manual and adjust when I get back down there.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Those are not age cracks which is good. Your tires should go a long time providing you don't try to push something through one of those cracks. You could try sealing them with black polyurethane adhesive. The cracks will have to be very clean and dry. In my original owners manual there is good instructions and diagrams of how to change the wheel width. If you need copies of these just let me know.
The chains on the outside sound like a good idea. I shortened my inside chains just one link and have to sometimes unhook one to attach the 3 point. Will have to look into the outside chains.
Chris

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

:beer: