Super Dexta Plough

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Phil C
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Dexta Plough

Post by Phil C »

Hi Guys
What would be the best plough for a Super Dexta?
I have made contact with the original owner from new and he informs me the Dexta used to pull a Ransomes 3 forrow 12" plough. As the old girl is getting on a bit I was thinking of 2 furrows, but what one? I hav'nt done any ploughing with a tractor but used to have a Trusty tractor which I got on with ok. My budget is around £400 and I don't mind a bit of work to get one going.
Any suggestions or advise would be must welcome.

Iv'e just about finished restoring The Dexta and will post some pictures soon. :D :beer:

Phil

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta Plough

Post by Bensdexta »

Phil C wrote:Hi Guys
What would be the best plough for a Super Dexta?
I have made contact with the original owner from new and he informs me the Dexta used to pull a Ransomes 3 forrow 12" plough. As the old girl is getting on a bit I was thinking of 2 furrows, but what one? I hav'nt done any ploughing with a tractor but used to have a Trusty tractor which I got on with ok. My budget is around £400 and I don't mind a bit of work to get one going.
Any suggestions or advise would be must welcome.

Iv'e just about finished restoring The Dexta and will post some pictures soon. :D :beer:
The Ransomes Robin TS54 and the later version TS1013, were designed for the Dexta. It is usually a two-furrow plough, but there is an optional 3rd furrow attachment, which the Dexta is quite capable of pulling, particulalry on lighter soils.

Look out for a brochure entitled 'Power matched implements for the Fordson dexta' which is quite often available on ebay. £400 should get you a Robin with EPIC bodies. YL bodies as used for ploughing matches, cost considerably more.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Phil C
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Phil C »

Thanks for this Ben. Now I'm showing my ignorance when it comes to ploughs, but can you tell me the difference between epic and yl bodies, I believe there is also USN. I know they are different shapes but what difference does it make ploughing, I presume that they have different uses but I don't know what. Is there a ploughs for dummy's book or web link out there? :| :?
Cheers Phil

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

EPIC is a 'semi-digger' body and ploughs a deeper furrow than YL, which are commonly used in ploughing matches. UCN/SCN are more modern boards that will I'm told, fit on a Robin leg, but weren't original fit.

If you just want to try your hand at a bit of ploughing, EPIC should be fine. It's what most Robins seem to have and a lot cheaper than YL.

I hasten to add I'm not a ploughman - maybe one will be along soon! :wink:

Phil C
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Phil C »

Thanks Ben I'll post when I find something. There is a couple of working days locally hopefully find something and have it ready by then.
Phil

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Phil C wrote:Thanks Ben I'll post when I find something. There is a couple of working days locally hopefully find something and have it ready by then.
Phil
Yes it's good to go to some ploughing matches and have a look. There is usually one or two Ransomes amongst all the fergie stuff. Have a chat, I'm sure they'll be helpful. :wink: