Rear Axle Bearings - Advice need!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MikesDexta
True Blue

Rear Axle Bearings - Advice need!

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi all
can someone advise me if the bearings on this video are normal or not? I had planned to change them as part of fixing leaking oil seals on my 1959 Dexta but after discovering they were collared in (i.e. no nuts) I was relieved when Jimmy from Dunlop Tractor Spares talked me out of changing the bearings if they hadn't produced a problem, he advises I just change the oil seals. However, having changed the oil seals I cleaned down the half shafts and spun the bearings only to get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH3Ziy1ADUQ

I realise that one or two of members say to replace the bearings and outer seal regardless but as I don't have a press I was facing hours of drilling and knocking them out.

thanks in advance

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Rear Axle Bearings - Advice need!

Post by charlie63 »

Mike,
In my opinion if you have it stripped down that far you might as well replace the outer seal and bearings but its your tractor and your call at the end of the day.There are 4 components to it all, 1 x the inner seal which is the oil seal in the axle and stops oil travelling along the half shaft contaminating the outer components, 2 X outer oil seal which is a bearing seal and stops the grease from coming out of the wheel bearing and contaminating the brake shoes etc, 3 X wheel bearing and 4 x bearing retaining collar. The noise from the bearing in your clip is normal as I can see that the bearing is dry of grease. Also the play that you are showing is normal as well as it is a taper bearing and the collar only acts as a retainer. It is when it is all bolted back into the axle that all the movement is taken up that is why you have to set your end float. You could try and repack the bearing with grease but due to it being all together you wont be able to get grease right into all the bearing. Removal and refitting of the collar is an easy process and doesnt take long to remove if you have a few good drill bits. You will need a press however to remove the bearing assembly. If you look at my posting on my restoration you will see I made up a simple thing out of a couple of pieces from angle to go in the press for removal of the bearing. There are also quite a few postings on the forum regarding the wheel bearings/seals etc.

Regards,
Charlie.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks Charlie, Mike from Tractormec (chap who produces the excellent Dexta DVDs) said the same as you. I want to replace them but I don't have the budget for the press let alone the bearings, collars and seals. The support from my wife is wearing thin with her birthday and a holiday pending so I will have to put it off and make do with replacing the inner seals for now and do the rest next year. I also need to get the tractor going again as I have some serious topping to do ahead of a major fencing exercise in one of my paddocks. I'm pleased with the re-wire and the steering overhaul is good except the blummin' top shaft is too long (Mayfield are trying to source a shorter one for me). The one thing I am determined to fix soon is the horn!
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mike,

I can fully sympathise with you and know where you are coming from regarding the good lady and after all you have to keep them happy. I still remember when I was restoring my classic motorbike I had blasted and painted my brake calipers and put them in the oven only to dry and harden the paint and I am still baffled to this day why she was not happy. After all I thought thats what ovens were for lol. My wife is always complaining about the amount of tractor parts that arrive at the house which I order while I am away so as I can carry on my restoration when I return home. She would have a fit if she actually knew the true cost of what my restoration has amounted to so far and at the last count it had exceeded the 5k mark as all she can see is what she could have bought in diamonds or had an exotic holiday lol. I have tried explaining to her that she will also get a lot of enjoyment out of it when it is completed taking it on tractor runs etc and that it is an investment.
As for your wheel bearings I would try and get as much grease packed into the bearing as possible for lubrication. Replacing your inner oil seals will prevent any oil contamination of the outer components. Remember and check the half shaft for any wear where the oil seal runs on it as well. Glad you are happy with your re wire and good luck on getting your half shafts refitted.

Regards,
Charlie.