Hydraulic lift not lifting much

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jasonteem
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic lift not lifting much

Post by jasonteem »

I have a 1959 dexta. The hydraulic lift arms do not lift as much as I would like. I would like to first try checking the hydr oil level and filling if necessary. Where do I check/fill and what hydro oil to use? Where can I find a complete list of lubricants to use in the tractor? Is there anything else I can do to make the lift arms lift more?

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Re: Hydraulic lift not lifting much

Post by kiwiland dexta »

If you read the "engine oil" thread at the top of the Dexta forum it will give you all you need for the hydraulics as well. It is all the same oil! There is a level-check bolt on the side of the lift housing - the oil level needs to come up to the hole once removed. Pretty sure it is the square headed bolt beside the PTO lever.
Having gone through the same as you, you will probably end up taking the seat and lift cover off, replacing the worn follower pin, checking the lift settings (search the forum - all you need is here!) and possibly replacing the piston seal while you are at it. All can be done at home but the lift cover is heavy so a block and tackle or engine crane would be useful.
Look forward to hearing how you get on!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.