Dexta wire loom

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Wingnut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta wire loom

Post by Wingnut »

Hello I’ve recently bought a dexta loom from a well known supplier beginning with ag and I’ve tried to install it today but some of the wires don’t match the colour on the diagram so it’s a little bit frustrating to say the least the tractor didn’t have a loom on it when I got it I’ve got an original diagram but they are different to that as well has anyone else had this problem and how did they fix it suggestions please thanks Andy

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Dexta wire loom

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Andy, scroll down to the post "1958 Restoration" by Charlie Davidson, I think it is his page 4 where he refers to his wiring loom. However he does not seem to mention a colour code issue other than there not been a wire in his loom for the horn/hooter in our country. I'd suggest asking him if he had any issues with colour, I'm sure he will be willing to help. I believe he should be back home this week.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Hope all is well with you in sunny SA.

Andy,
I did have problems with my wiring loom but found that there seems to be 2 different wiring diagrams I think depending on the year. I printed off them both and worked from them. I found that if you set your loom out on the tractor starting from the front it is pretty self explanatory even for an inexperienced spark. I will be back up in the workshop this coming week and will hopefully get the two copies of the wiring diagrams that I have and post them for you. I will try and write down for you where the individual wires go to and post for you as well.

Regards
Charlie.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Andy,
Update on the wiring diagrams. The two diagrams I was working from are 1: For a 4 terminal control box and 2: For a 5 terminal control box. The wiring diagram for the 4 terminal control box shows a separate ignition switch. The wiring diagram for the 5 terminal control box shows a combined ignition/light switch. If you want to give me your email address I can scan them and send you copies of them both. The reason I worked from them both was that my new loom seemed to have wiring colours that matched the 4 terminal control box diagram even though it is fitted with a 5 terminal control box and combined ignition/light switch. I did manage to get there in the end without any problems.

Regards
Charlie.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Hi Andy
I also bought my loom from Agriline for my 1959 Dexta and used the wiring diagram from my Operators Manual here http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=7407
together with the wiring schematic from Agriline https://www.agrilineproducts.com/parts/ ... 18203.html

Once I had the loom I spent some time working out what size and length of shrinkwrap I needed to protect the wiring and bought it all on eBay. I simply taped off any connectors I would need later e.g front/rear lights.

You may also need a few connectors so I recommend purchasing a good crimper which I got off eBay pretty cheaply and far better than the multipurpose tools you get from Screwfix or Halfords.

good luck

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, not too bad thanks, I will send you an email.
I'm glad you were able to assist Andy, thank you.