Super Dexta Questions

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bill Cox
True Blue

Super Dexta Questions

Post by Bill Cox »

Greetings to all from a new guy. I inherited a 1964 Super Dexta from my late father-in-law. It is fairly sound. The skin is a little rough but the drive train appears to be strong.

When I engage the starter control lever, with the tractor in neutral and the clutch petal depressed, nothing happens. I have tried this with the starter isolation switch in all of the positions into which it may be placed. I have started the machine by engaging the starter and jumping across the solenoid. I tried jumping across the starter switch but that did not work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Thanks for any help.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Bill,
One wire down to the switch on the starter should be live when you turn the ignition key on.

If you have shorted across those screws and the solenoid does not actuate the starter motor then I would suspect your problem is either in the key switch or in the wore from it to the starter.

Do your charge and oil pressure lights come on when you turn the key?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

Thanks for the rapid reply, Brian.

All of the lights and proof meter are present by badly damaged, in shot, they do not work. In one of the switch positions, the headlights come on. It has been outfitted with an after market oil pressure gauge.

As I recall, regardless of the position into which I place the starter isolation switch, neither of the wires going to the starter relay operating switch are energized. I am not in a position to check that at the moment, but it gives me a lead to investigate.

And while we are on the electrical system, I need to replace the battery. The manual gives the specs in amp hours. I used a crude conversion table I found online and when using it, the specified 80 amp hour battery converts to an 880 CCA battery. Do you have any modern battery specs such as group (size) and CCA?

Thanks again, BC

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

I checked the old form posts and found a battery spec that worked for another member. Following that advice, I bought a Group 34, 700 CCA battery and installed it Saturday. It works great.

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

After I replaced the battery, I was still having to jump across the solenoid to crank the engine. I broke out my meter and traced it all out and it turned out to be a bad starter solenoid. Replaced it with an old Ford truck solenoid I had on hand, and I can now start it properly.

I sure is easy with Brian's help and a wiring diagram :oops:
Delta Blue