how to get shifter spring back on?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dan_d
Not Quite Blue Yet

how to get shifter spring back on?

Post by dan_d »

(Ok, i'm sure I must just be looking at this all backwards, this has got to be something simple.... but anyways...)

I had to remove the shift levers and cover from the transmission since one lever had popped out of position. I'm trying to reassemble everything now but I can't seem to figure out how to get the spring back onto shift lever?? :? It's the spring that sits on top of the dust/grease "cap" (looks like an upside-down funnel) and is held in place by a thick C-clip on the shift lever. All the pieces are back in place but I just can't seem to squeeze it down far enough to get the C-clip back on!? Is there some special tool I need? Has anyone does this before and have some neat trick??

Thanks,
Dan

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Dan

This is what I did.

I supported the gear stick assembly on a work bench and slipped a +/- 12 inch long pipe about the same diameter as the C clip and gave it a bit of a whack with a hammer and on she went. It may sound very crude but as they say here in South Africa "n Boer maak n plan"( a farmer makes a plan)

Good luck

Mervyn Spencer

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Dan, I omitted to say that you need to push down on the spring with the pipe to compress it, and then give it the gentle whack.

Hope I make myself understood?

Kind regards
Mervyn

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

We do the same only we used to use an old ring spanner.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

dan_d
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dan_d »

Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense! :)
I'll dig around tonite for something to fit and try it out!

Dan