Leaking O ring

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bill Cox
True Blue

Leaking O ring

Post by Bill Cox »

Hello once again all.

I replaced the O rings and gasket (E189-GF-9) between the lift cover and remote valve body on my 64 Super Dexta. I drained the hydraulic oil my brother in law had put in the transmission and rear axle and replaced it with Rotella T SAE 30W HD. The lift works well now and I'm not sure it would go any higher at this time with further adjustment.

However, I have an oil leak from the flow control valve port. My June 1961 shop manual shows a "retainer and "O" ring" sealing the port. My May 1963 parts book calls the O ring a seal (fig. 26 part # 87033-ES page 28-29) and states that it is no longer serviced.

Does anyone have any suggestions for repair techniques and a replacement O ring size, part #, etc.?

In addition, the Qualitrol connecting rod (E207-GF-9) is broken/missing. A stub of one end of it remains in place on the flow control lever and the clevis on the other end is still connected to the restrictor crank lever. Therefore, the lift only works in the position control setting. Does anyone know if the rod assembly parts are available, or what size it should be so that I can make a new one?

Thanks for any help.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Flow control rod

Post by Bensdexta »

Bill Cox wrote:In addition, the Qualitrol connecting rod (E207-GF-9) is broken/missing. A stub of one end of it remains in place on the flow control lever and the clevis on the other end is still connected to the restrictor crank lever. Therefore, the lift only works in the position control setting. Does anyone know if the rod assembly parts are available, or what size it should be so that I can make a new one?
You can probably get a 2nd hand one, eg from Ron Greet, Devon. You could try the likes of Agriline, Hipperson - may not advertise them, but might have an old one -worth a try.
Alternatively if you were to make one, might be best to borrow one to copy as it is quite an intricate shape.
All the best,
Ben

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Bill,
The rod you are asking about does not affect the setting of the lift in either Qualitrol or Position control. That rod and flow control is only really of use when you are using soil engaging implements like a plough, in Qualitrol.

Draft signals enter the lift via the top link and operate the control valve via a series of springs. When operating in hard ground, sudden signals can cause the lift to raise the implement out of work. By adjusting a) the position of the top link on the rocker or b) by slowing the flow of oil, weight can still be transferred without completely lifting the implement out of work.

How ever, when you reach the end of the run and need to raise the plough out of work, if you left the flow control in low flow, the plough would lift slowly, so a "wheel" is placed in the lift lever that can be moved to contact that rod you are missing, and move the flow control back to the fast position so giving a fast raise.

The lift will work happily without that link. Early Dextas did not have either it or a flow control.

The Qualitrol/Position selector is under your right leg on the side of the lift unit. It should be down for Qualitrol and parallel to the lift for Position control.

"O" rings are readily available at most dealers, you just need to take the one you have along and get it matched. I buy boxes of assorted ones from a number of different suppliers on this side of the pond.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know if it was a garden variety O ring or something special. Is there a trick to getting the retainer out? I haven't tried yet but should get to it next week sometime.

Bill Cox
True Blue

Post by Bill Cox »

P.S.

After I got the lift is working, I did not check to see if it would work in Qualitrol. I read elsewhere on this site that the lift will raise higher in Position than in Qualitrol.

Before I worked on it, it would barely raise in Position and not at all in Qualitrol. After reading what Brian wrote, I realize I reached an erroneous conclusion that I needed the Qualitrol connecting rod for it to work. Now I see the light :wink:

Thanks again.

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

hi
i am not quite sure what part you are after if you can post better details i have an old top laying around and it might have the bit you need which you are welcome to have.
Mike